Sometimes we find beautiful things, and they degrade. How can we stop that?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
There's a couple of my finds which I really did love, junk jewelry in these cases. My question is, how can we save them?

Last year dirt digging I found a very beautiful piece of a junk pendant:

Mon Mar 20 16-53-03.jpg

That was a picture from when I first dug it out of the dirt. Since then, the two sections from left bottom to top of "paint" have fallen off. That took a beautiful find to less than what it was.

Is there anything I should have coated this with prior to it drying out and dropping off? What would have been a permanent fix for it before this happened?

Today was this:

Thu Jun 22 20-46-45.jpg

Got this out of the water today, complete with no "jewels" lost. It was wet, and 6 hours later one of the stones has come "unglued" and now missing probably in my finds pocket.

Is there anything I could have done to this as soon out of the water as I could, to have kept this beauty from spitting out parts of it?

By the way, Steve said that was a belly button piercing jewelry.

What can we do with them before they're not beautiful anymore?

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold's value is partly because it stays pretty. Any jewelry stored short of a box will do like we do and slowly fall
apart. The law of Entropy states along with others that everything goes from a state of order to one of disorder.
Not a theory but a law. Now along with that what you see as order and what nature sees are probably very different.

Jewelry is fragile but a properly set stone should not normally fall out. They might have just been glued and were destined to fall out anyway. Maybe rhinestones.
If your really interested in a piece and feel it has value I'd think the best place to take it would be a conservator. There are
conservators for almost anything.

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Both are cheap and reversible. The elmer's glue one likely won't affect paint or glued items as much as the nail polish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread