Copper license plate >How to remove patina?

OP
OP
C

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These I like and have no desire to alter. IMG_4668.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4681.jpg
    IMG_4681.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4651.JPG
    IMG_4651.JPG
    1,002.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it had a patina like this, then oh yeah!

IMG_4685.JPG

OP
OP
C

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorites are the '38 plates from Cochise County, where I was born. I have removed most of the red paint someone sprayed on it.

IMG_4686.JPG

OP
OP
C

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my... that is toasted now.
The vinegar and salt really did a number on that. Try leaving it outside for a couple of weeks and see if looks any better.
I wish you tried the Brasso as that makes my copper clubs shine like they were just poured.

No, not the vinegar.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

No, not the vinegar.

I see now but before you didn't mention any fire.
You have some cool old plates there, Nice collection!
Keep the Brasso in mind if you ever want to make some copper really shine! :occasion14:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the PBS show Antique Roadshow was right in if it has value, leave it alone. should have had a disclaimer.
That's if it really doesn't have significant value and you want to restore some of it's former glory, have a ball.
In fact even if it does have value, you own it. Your choice to hang a piece of rusty junk on your wall so those
that see it can scratch their heads and wonder why or something that's at least recognizable.

On TV there are endless shows on those companies that take old cars and restore them before the bow down before them.
I say that as I'm old enough to remember what pieces of questionable engineering they were. So that leaves the emotions.
Emotions, memories and lost youth. They restore for different reasons but should they leave it as found. I doubt anyone ever
involved in a car or bike restoration would want to leave as found. They are being reclaimed by Nature and will soon disappear.

It's OK PBS warned those with a Chippendale high boy or a century old Navajo Rug to know it's value as original. Not all
things have that value and not all things deserve protection.

Here's where lack of knowledge becomes a problem. Knowing value. A ton of valuable furniture was destroyed in the 70's
when the "Antiquing " craze started. That's when paint kits were sold to make furniture look old.
I'm old enough to think a facelift might help.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the PBS show Antique Roadshow was right in if it has value, leave it alone. should have had a disclaimer.
That's if it really doesn't have significant value and you want to restore some of it's former glory, have a ball.
In fact even if it does have value, you own it. Your choice to hang a piece of rusty junk on your wall so those
that see it can scratch their heads and wonder why or something that's at least recognizable.

On TV there are endless shows on those companies that take old cars and restore them before the bow down before them.
I say that as I'm old enough to remember what pieces of questionable engineering they were. So that leaves the emotions.
Emotions, memories and lost youth. They restore for different reasons but should they leave it as found. I doubt anyone ever
involved in a car or bike restoration would want to leave as found. They are being reclaimed by Nature and will soon disappear.

It's OK PBS warned those with a Chippendale high boy or a century old Navajo Rug to know it's value as original. Not all
things have that value and not all things deserve protection.

Here's where lack of knowledge becomes a problem. Knowing value. A ton of valuable furniture was destroyed in the 70's
when the "Antiquing " craze started. That's when paint kits were sold to make furniture look old.
I'm old enough to think a facelift might help.

Antique furniture is still being destroyed today at an alarming rate with the whole 'shabby chic' trend.

Johnbrian

Jun 15, 2017
Bakersfield, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's 3900/D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To get a patina on copper bake it in an oven. You will have to experiment with the temperature but it is less than 300 degrees if I recall. Using this method you should be able to give your plate an even color all over. The color is dependent on the temp & if I recall you can get a color like on a standard undug copper penny (NOT a Zincoln) at about 150 - 200 degrees. Start out at the lower temp, you can always increase the temp if you don't like the color. If you want it back to shiny just do the lemon juice or Brasso (probably better).

Unless the license plate was plated with copper, you have not lost any copper from the fire. It is black in those areas because of the intense heat from the fire.

Your results may vary, caution is advised, I make no guarantees. Experiment with some pennies (1981 & earlier) to get an idea of the colors that you can achieve.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread