Ultra-sonic cleaners?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I spent yesterday evening tumbling my pennies, tonight I'll do my clad.

I also have the set-up for electrolysis, but have yet to use it. I do have a number of finds to "cook" when I get the gumption.

I've been considering getting an ultra-sonic gizmo as well.

But, I watched a Youtube video last night while tumbling along - and that video actually stated to do the sonic stuff in times in the seconds - to prevent removal of native material.

Anyone have experience on this?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert on cleaners...I see no one responded so I'll throw what little I know in.

I have used ultra sonic cleaners for watches,jewelry, and anything else that would fit in the thing. Gun parts too! Anything to clean dirt and grime.

There are many types. They all work a little different as far as strength. A cheap little jewelry cleaner isn't the same as like what he has in the video. They are pretty weak. To get anything that is going to have any power the price usually has a big jump. Some also have heat too which is good!

You really have to almost have a goal for what you are cleaning. Different metals, along with what different solutions,Heat, time in, type of machine, all play into what the outcome is going to be.

I've destroyed watch movements, rings, and stones. All in different machines. Things can be "over cooked". And different solutions react to different stones. Opal is an example. Rings can be pounded to death and the shape can actually be changed.

Not sure if any of that helps. :laughing7: And not sure what you know about it. There are a few things to consider when looking at it and trying to determine, What machine, what solution(that is a whole world by its self), to use heat or not, timing, etc....

I just sold about $900 machine at the beginning of the summer that was rarely used for $200. The resale stinks on some of them. So, you can find good machines used at decent prices.

I never had much luck with coins, or really corroded stuff. It usually just destroyed the finish for me. And didn't really do much if I did it quick. But maybe I was using the wrong solutions.

Last edited:

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a few cheap jewelry ultrasonic cleaners and they don't have the power. Where i used work we had several industrial units and you had use a specific (expensive) fluid for the items you were cleaning. Also they had heat. Don't think it would be cost effective for clad. I usually just roll the stuff and take to the bank.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
That's good info guys. I was looking essentially at entry level pricing. It kinda looks like that would be a waste of money.

Thank you!

It's Deeper than I thought!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's good info guys. I was looking essentially at entry level pricing. It kinda looks like that would be a waste of money.

Thank you!

It's Deeper than I thought!

If you watch for them..They do show up at flea markets and craigslist cheap. I've had older machines that I bought for 25 bucks. They work too....But I'd rather have an old used one from a shop, than I would one of the plastic machines you see all over the place.

Steam cleaning machines.....The one I have now was about 1200 new, I bought it at auction still in the box for $130. But I would have been disappointed if I would have bought that thing at full price. And it's messy, burns your fingers etc... I played with it one day and put it on the shelf. :laughing7:

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ultrasonics are expensive But, You can watch craigs list, the papers, the net and find where a Jewelry shop etc. is closing and sometimes get great deals, that is how I got the unit I have used for 26 years with No Problems, also If you want a steam cleaner a coil of copper tube 1/4" id works with a wire feed welder tip threaded in at .032 hole size and a Gas burner under it you can steam a way for years with one, though not as powerful as a commercial unit.

I use my steamer for gun cleaning, pistols heat right up and all old oil in every crevice is removed, then some proper lube and one slick pistol..

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I ended up buying this one, but paid more than what the price shows now:

41HZ3gosGaL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-L...pID=41HZ3gosGaL&preST=_SX342_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

It came with 2 bottles of cleaning fluid.

I've used this already a number of times. If I had been looking for miraculous results - I'd have been disappointed. They're pretty good, but you still end up needing other tools.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions