To Tumble or Not to Tumble, That is the Question

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So have 2 Civil War sword parts I've dug and, other than knocking the dirt off and gentle tootbrush work, have done nothing to them. Though they mean a lot to me, they hold no great monetary value and I was considering tumbling them to clean them up and restore the brass luster. I know that's anathema to the purists and I get that, but on items like these, what are some of your thoughts? The CSA Saber pommel is shown below.

csa pommel (1) small.jpg

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, if I found it, it belongs to me, I'll do what I wish with it. I've been have satisfactory results tumbling really crusty Lincoln's found in MO 79-81... all copper. They look a lot better, one can read dates and see detail. I'm also having satisfactory results cleaning a bunch of 'junk silver' with the boiling water, tin foil & baking soda trick. Me, I'd got for it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tumble Baby!:skullflag:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tumble but carful of the abrasive you use. You would be better to use a less abrasive media for longer duration and spot check during the progress multiple times to check on the progress then a harsher abrasive for a shorter period. But definitely tumble. Slow and steady wins the race.

MY VOTE : TUMBLE:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread