Cleaning blackened and tarnished silver coins THANK YOU Buckleboy!

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm relatively new to this hobby (only six months in), so I was thrilled when I found my first silver coin this year during a beach hunt in early January. The coin is nothing special, only a 1958 silver USA dime. However, it was special to me because I'd never found one before on the beach. The coin was in unusual condition, tarnished and blackened on one side, and rather pristine on the other. I'm assuming that's the result of spending several decades on one side under the sand. I decided that I wanted the tarnished side to be more presentable, so I searched the Cleaning and Preservation forum for advice on how to clean it. I found Buckleboy's post from 12-06-2014 regarding cleaning blackened silver coins and decided to to try it. (Here is a direct link to his post: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/cleaning-preservation/442189-how-clean-blackened-silver-coins.html.) I ran my coin through his process three times and was amazed and VERY happy with the results. I could have, of course, cleaned it more, but I was happy with the results pictured below. As you can see in the pictures, when I found the dime, Roosevelt's face was muddy, at best. After the cleaning process, he was smiling for the generation to whom I will pass this coin on! THANK YOU, Buckleboy, for your guidance and excellent cleaning methods! Now I just need to find a gilded button from the 1700's so I can try out your cleaning and restoration methods involving naval jelly and toothpicks!

1958 D Dime Front.jpg 1958 D Dime Front Post Cleaning.jpg

Last edited:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tom, I’m so glad this method worked for you! Congrats on a stellar cleaning process, and let’s hope there are many more fine silvers to come!

cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions