Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Methods to Preserve Information in the Patina's on copper colonial era coins

Hello
I am wondering you know of any research into the preservation of found copper coins where the detail is only remaining in the soft green patina

When I find bronze copper coins with fine low relief detail
that is clearly fully intact visible when it first gets excavated,

This detail can disappear rapidly when it gets wet (water, liquid wash, peroxide) or as it dries, it flakes and falls off, or gets removed with the dirt particles, during fine delicate cleaning with a dry brush.

the problem is the original low releif detail is now contained part in the patina, and part still as hard metal some of which is unstable

if I could find a solution that I could dip or spray on the object when it is first removed from the ground that would adhere the patina to the base metal

and harden, but still have a manipulative quality so we can dry remove the dirt and excessive patina build up around the raised relief detail.

I have tried some emulsions that either do not penetrate or dry too hard that it prevents carful cleaning,

also waxes that do not dry hard enough so handling can flatten or remove fine detail such as hair relief on a coin, and or dull from handling

Similar solutions are available and used on dig sites and museums for the conservation of archaeological finds such as decayed bone, wood, leather, they are called Colsolidants and emulsions.

it seems like a water based emulsion may be the best as it will penetrate better the damp patina that contains the detail

I welcome any recommendations you may have

Best

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread