Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one example: an 1864 IH fatty that I couldn't hardly see the date on--NOTE: this coin was cleaned with water and a soft brush and THEN the "before" photos were taken:

Indian Head Fatty 003a.jpg

Indian Head Fatty 005a.jpg

AFTER CLEANING WITH THE PEROXIDE METHOD:

Indian Head Fatty 013a.jpg

Indian Head Fatty 016a.jpg

Here's the link to the peroxide method post by DonSJ, followed by some Large Cents I cleaned with the same method:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,39135.0.html

LC Obverse.jpg

LC Reverse.jpg

Regards,

Buckleboy

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Will,

Thanks for sharing a lot of the newer folks don't know about this .
Might not hurt to elaboirate on the solution used as pure peroxide can do harm to some of the old stuff.

Thanks again
Thom

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dog said:
Will,

Thanks for sharing a lot of the newer folks don't know about this .
Might not hurt to elaboirate on the solution used as pure peroxide can do harm to some of the old stuff.

Thanks again
Thom

Thanks for the reply, Thom. I think folks will be fine if they read and follow Don's post...the peroxide used is normal, drug-store variety 3%.

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
Now, THAT'S cool.

I know I read it in the forum before, but I forgot all about it. Are there any metals you SHOULD'NT put in this solution???

B

Don doesn't recommend it for nickels. And of of course...this won't cure oxidized silver coins. This is a cleaning method for coppers--Colonials, Large Cents, FE's, IH's, and wheats.

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
teverly said:
Man thats a nice 1810!!!!

Thank you, teverly. That is my nicest early U.S. coin found to date...and one of the prettiest LC's I've ever dug. Great post today, by the way--nice work!

-Buckleboy

S

seger98

This works great, just tried it on a Indian Head that I found up in the U.P. of Michigan. The penny was in rough shape do to the heavy red clay I found it in. I thought I'd give it a try on this coin cause it really looked like is was little to no value, thanks for bringing this cleaning method to our att. Chris

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing this tip. I wasn't aware of it but of course I am still new to this.
Ed

gary s fl

Mar 21, 2005
Birmingham Alabama
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Explorer II, Excalibur, Aquasound, TDI, GB 2, Quick-triggered CZ-21, AU-21, G2, Comprade 7" & 5.5"
Primary Interest:
Other
Buckleboy,

Your IH cleaned up great and those large cents are really nice.

I think success with the peroxide method has a lot to do with the type of soil that the coin was found in. Here around B'ham, Al, the ground has a lot of iron and mineralization and my success with peroxide has been hit and miss. It definitely seems to work well with the right type of dirt matrix. Thanks for sharing your results.

Gary

cal-hunter

Greenie
Aug 21, 2007
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
DFX, Surf PI Pro
I use an electric potpourri warmer works very well (just don't tell your wife what you are doing with it). Put in the hydrogen peroxide, plug it in and leave the coins in until the bubbles stop. Repeat as needed. No microwaves or candles to worry about.
HH
cal-hunter

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cal-hunter said:
I use an electric potpourri warmer works very well (just don't tell your wife what you are doing with it). Put in the hydrogen peroxide, plug it in and leave the coins in until the bubbles stop. Repeat as needed. No microwaves or candles to worry about.
HH
cal-hunter

That's a GREAT idea!!! I'll go to pick one up. Microwaving it is bothersome--you have to keep doing it all the time...and the lamp idea is great, but it could be a fire hazard. Nice! I'm a convert.

-Buckles

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It sure does! Here is a recent result of mine.

Attachments

• 1904o.jpg
    1904o.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 5,713
  • 1904o.jpg
    1904o.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 5,721

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget you can use it to remove rust stains from porcelin and enamel from collectable china cups enamel pins etc.

You can buy 70% at a beauty supply. Apply it with a Q-tip until the rust stain is gone. Be careful not to spill it on you, your clothes, the carpet, dog/cat etc! :D

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boogeyman said:
Don't forget you can use it to remove rust stains from porcelin and enamel from collectable china cups enamel pins etc.

You can buy 70% at a beauty supply. Apply it with a Q-tip until the rust stain is gone. Be careful not to spill it on you, your clothes, the carpet, dog/cat etc! :D

AT 70%, I would not want to chance applying any heat to the peroxide, the peroxide I have recommended all these years is stabilized 3% and I had reservations at first about heating, but at 70%, I KNOW I would have reservations, after all , Peroxide in higher concentrations is rocket fuel, so I sure am not in any way recommending trying 70% peroxide on anything, and if you do I would think heating would not be recommended.
I only mention this since most of this post is about using peroxide and heating it. And yes, I realize it was mentioned only for cleaning rust stains, but I am sure somebody would try that concentration on coins or whatever and apply heat. :(

Buckles, I have no idea what you are talking about having to reheat the peroxide all the time, I have never reheated peroxide in any of my cleanings. I have replaced the dirty no longer acting peroxide but never reheated any. One minute in a microwave sure is not a PIA. If you want no bother, than just do as I did for years prior to using the microwave, just put it under a desk lamp for slow heat, doesn't get the wife mad at all! ;)

Don

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Don,

I've found that the peroxide slows down after it gets back to room temperature when I've microwaved it...so I usually have to stick it in there about three more times intermittently to keep it going full tilt. I have thought about a desk lamp--I know that's what you use--but I may actually try the potpourri warmer and see how that works.

I'll second that motion about the 70% stuff--maybe useful for cleaning dug china at room temperature, but NEVER heat it!

Regards,

Buckleboy

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Way Too Long Elf-Name Guy said:
Thanks Don,

I've found that the peroxide slows down after it gets back to room temperature when I've microwaved it...so I usually have to stick it in there about three more times intermittently to keep it going full tilt.
Buckleboy

Buckleboy, it sure does slow down, however as Don has said, replace it with fresh peroxide. I tried reheating it once, and realized I was heating all of the minerals and particles that had come off the coin. By placing a coin into the tainted peroxide, you are exposing the coin to a heated version of the very elements you are trying to remove from it. It takes and extra few seconds, but I recommend replacing the peroxide with a fresh batch before reheating it.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Way Too Long Elf-Name Guy said:
Thanks Don,

I've found that the peroxide slows down after it gets back to room temperature when I've microwaved it...so I usually have to stick it in there about three more times intermittently to keep it going full tilt.
Buckleboy

Buckleboy, it sure does slow down, however as Don has said, replace it with fresh peroxide. I tried reheating it once, and realized I was heating all of the minerals and particles that had come off the coin. By placing a coin into the tainted peroxide, you are exposing the coin to a heated version of the very elements you are trying to remove from it. It takes and extra few seconds, but I recommend replacing the peroxide with a fresh batch before reheating it.

I'll try that. Thank you for the excellent tips!

Regards,

Buckleboy

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried the peroxide method and I too am a believer. It cleaned up some hopelessly crusted indian cents and it worked wonders. Bryan

K

KirkTN

could you please explain the peroxide method. The results you show are amazing. Awesome finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread