Brass officers sword drag, to clean or not to clean. THAT is the question

NewbieTR

Dec 31, 2007
Memphis
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Quick Draw II
Brass officer's sword drag, to clean or not to clean. THAT is the question

Hello all. My first "real" find turned out to be an officer's sword drag (I'd post a pic but my cheapie camera takes crappy pics). Do I clean it using electrolysis? or some other method? Of so, which one? And, do I clean it at all?

I've experimented with electrolysis using coins and got good results so if I used that method, I don't think I'd screw it up.

I've searched this thread for how to clean brass but there aren't that many answers.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Brass officer's sword drag, to clean or not to clean. THAT is the question

Brass shouldn't need electrolysis. Only iron. And in fact, many collectors actually prefer dug relics to non-dug ones. All I'd do is wash the item off--with perhaps a gentle toothpicking of some of the crud. Leave the green patina. I'd love to see a photo of the item, if you can get one. I'd probably be able to give better advice if I could see it.

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
NewbieTR

NewbieTR

Dec 31, 2007
Memphis
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Quick Draw II
Thanks BB! Here are some pics. Yep, I know they aren't great

Buckles For Jesus said:
Brass shouldn't need electrolysis. Only iron. And in fact, many collectors actually prefer dug relics to non-dug ones. All I'd do is wash the item off--with perhaps a gentle toothpicking of some of the crud. Leave the green patina. I'd love to see a photo of the item, if you can get one. I'd probably be able to give better advice if I could see it.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Attachments

• Officer Drag 001.jpg
    Officer Drag 001.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 328
  • Officer Drag 002.jpg
    Officer Drag 002.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 308

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Brass officer's sword drag, to clean or not to clean. THAT is the question

Hmmmm. Looks like copper rather than brass?! I was expecting a brass one...this one looks like copper with its characteristic green corrosion rather than an even green patina. That corrosion could pose problems later on...

I'm kinda stumped...If it is copper, then the peroxide method might help it more than anything--and certainly couldn't hurt it. I'm interested in hearing what other forum members think.

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread