I tried the Ammonia method today, and I am not impressed...

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I've been an advocate of the peroxide method for cleaning old copper coins for a while now--and I've noticed others' good results with Ammonia and Q-Tips...

So I tried it.

It appears that Ammonia does as well as water does on coins that have a nice green patina on them--but with the added danger that the Ammonia can remove the patina if you use the Q-tip too aggressively.

Other than that, little difference.

As it is, I use peroxide EXCEPT when there is a nice green patina that is even and stable. In that case, I use water to clean the coin because I don't like how peroxide can darken coins that have such a nice green hue.

So on to the coins that are brown and/or crusty.

The Ammonia did an equally good job with the brown ones as peroxide did--but again, the danger of removing the patina.

The crusty ones the Ammonia only removed the dirt--and didn't touch the green crusty corrosion. Peroxide is the only thing I've found that can help with this--and you still must pick the corrosion off as you go with a toothpick in order to turn what's underneath the same color as the surrounding patina.

These are just my findings--and they should in no way be taken as a stick in the eye to anyone who uses Ammonia on their copper coins.

My money is still with peroxide.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread