Is it legal to look for gold in San Gabriel River??

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hello i am a noob at panning gold and i want to know is it legal to pan gold at San Gabriel River?:laughing7:

Well, I don't tell too many people this, but ...... It is I, yes I, who owns the San Gabriel river. And as such: I authorize you to pan in that river. If anyone asks, just tell them "Tom_in_CA" said you could. No .... don't thank me .... It's the least I can do for a fellow hobbyist.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's illegal, technically.

Deep-Digger-Dan

Greenie
Nov 26, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This guy does it all the time. He does seem a bit shady, I could see him being a outlaw

COME ON, GET IN!!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hmmm, Hamfist adds the word "... technically ...". As if this might be one of those "spitting on sidewalks" types rules/laws. Or one where you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who really cares or knows, etc....

And then deep-digger-dan has a video that someone's posted, where he "does it all the time".

Hence ask yourself: Let's just assume, for sake of argument, that it is a) very forbidden, and b) you are in deep-doo-doo if you did it, and c) there's authorities looking for scofflaws to bust their chops at every turn !

Then why doesn't some cop or ranger or whatever bust the guy on that posted video clip ? CERTAINLY they could get a warrant for the video-hosting service (youtube or whatever) to reveal the poster's name and address? In the same way that if someone posted a video of them murdering someone, it would only be a matter of time before the identity of the person who posted would be tracked down, and the murderer arrested.

So either the person who posted the video is very un-wise (and cruising for trouble, etc...), or it's a non-issue ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread