Getting Back Into Hobby - Gwinnett County, Georgia (Need Advice)
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mendenpen77%
  • 1 Post By kcm
  • 1 Post By Davers

Thread: Getting Back Into Hobby - Gwinnett County, Georgia (Need Advice)

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Tom in Gwinnett Co, GA

May 2016
    Norcross, GA
    White's DFX
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Cool Getting Back Into Hobby - Gwinnett County, Georgia (Need Advice)

Hello, everyone. It has been a few years since I have detected and believe it or not I'm not sure how to go about getting back into the hobby in regards to where I can go legally to detect (of course, I do realize that to detect on private property you need permission and you can't detect on federal land). Can you believe that? I have much more paranoia these days about detecting than I did years ago because of "signs" on property (even schools) and the laws I have read about online. I live in Norcross, GA, which is in Gwinnett County. I am aware of the Stone Mountain Treasure's Hunters Club (went to a few meetings many years ago).

I would love to go and hunt with someone who is more knowledgeable and connected in the area ! I just need to just get comfortable with the sport again and be taught the "do's" and "don'ts". I have a White's DFX and a Detector Pro underwater detector.

For example, can you detect on Gwinnett County owned land like a park or do you need permission? I've watched a lot of metal detecting videos online and am just dying to get back involved in this hobby. Another hobby that I have is "road biking" and have recently bought a new road bike on e-Bay. I am thoroughly enjoying doing this but want to start metal detecting again and find some jewelry or old coins.

Any ideas or advice would be truly appreciated.

Tom
    Davers likes this.

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    7031 times
    You can't detect on "Federal land"?? I know there are restrictions for the areas around gov't buildings/military installations, and some parks don't want digging, but Federal lands are STILL "public" lands - or at least they're "supposed" to be.

I'm not a "real" MDer yet, so don't take my word for anything - just spoutin' off!
    Davers likes this.

us
    Mar 2010
    Southwest Georgia
    XP Deus, White's DFX
    6461 times
    Contact your Parks and Recreation Department for rules and regulations regarding detecting on city owned property. Here in Dougherty Co, Ga. it is legal to detect on all city/county owned property. I just went online and could find nothing prohibiting metal detecting in Norcross City parks or Gwinnett County parks. I would still contact each authority to see exactly what they have to say.
    Last edited by fyrffytr1; May 10, 2016 at 11:54 PM.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel.

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    6444 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kcm View Post
    You can't detect on "Federal land"?? I know there are restrictions for the areas around gov't buildings/military installations, and some parks don't want digging, but Federal lands are STILL "public" lands - or at least they're "supposed" to be.

I'm not a "real" MDer yet, so don't take my word for anything - just spoutin' off!
    No I'm 98% sure all Federal Land is off limits , Including Nat , Parks , State Parks, Core of Engineers land, National Forests , State ones in GA as well.
    A permit maybe could be got for some lands but it's usually only good for Swimming areas .

You might find a piece of pottery or something I suppose.
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    6444 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mendenpen77% View Post
    Hello, everyone. It has been a few years since I have detected and believe it or not I'm not sure how to go about getting back into the hobby in regards to where I can go legally to detect (of course, I do realize that to detect on private property you need permission and you can't detect on federal land). Can you believe that? I have much more paranoia these days about detecting than I did years ago because of "signs" on property (even schools) and the laws I have read about online. I live in Norcross, GA, which is in Gwinnett County. I am aware of the Stone Mountain Treasure's Hunters Club (went to a few meetings many years ago).

I would love to go and hunt with someone who is more knowledgeable and connected in the area ! I just need to just get comfortable with the sport again and be taught the "do's" and "don'ts". I have a White's DFX and a Detector Pro underwater detector.

For example, can you detect on Gwinnett County owned land like a park or do you need permission? I've watched a lot of metal detecting videos online and am just dying to get back involved in this hobby. Another hobby that I have is "road biking" and have recently bought a new road bike on e-Bay. I am thoroughly enjoying doing this but want to start metal detecting again and find some jewelry or old coins.

Any ideas or advice would be truly appreciated.

Tom
    Hey man
    It Sux these days We Detecting (Tulip Planters) have to worry about so many law's these day's.

IMO Detect where you want , Just use Common Sense .

If I had Deep pockets I would have a Lawyer just for Detecting Issues.

Public land should be "Public" as long as you use proper Techniques.
    kcm likes this.
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links