Illinois Cook county FPD Ban Info

Lakbeg

Jan 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone:

This is to advise you that the General Superintendent of the Forest Preserve District of Cook County recently has received several requests to meet with various individuals for the purpose of discussing the Forest Preserve District’s current prohibition regarding metal detecting activities in the Forest Preserves. In response, he has scheduled a meeting, to which you are hereby invited to attend, for Tuesday, July 30, 2013 at 2:00 p.m. at 536 North Harlem Avenue in River Forest, Illinois to discuss this issue further.

At your earliest convenience, please contact me, Beverly Buckley, at the email address provided above to confirm your attendance at this meeting.

Thank you for contacting the Forest Preserve District of Cook County regarding this matter. We look forward to seeing you on Tuesday.

Sincerely,

Beverly Buckley
Legal Department
Forest Preserve District of Cook County

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's too bad an attorney had to be hired just to get a meeting scheduled with an elected official. Seems they took 8 months to reply to an email by a regular citizen with a standard sorry and thank you for writing. I don't think that's the way it's supposed to work. Gotta love it.:BangHead:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Be there and be prepared.

If you can attend please do so. Also remember that we no longer use terms like "dig", "excavate" or anything that sounds like that. Semantics are everything so choose your approach and words, should you get the chance to use them, very carefully. We recover lost items. We perform great community service by removing trash and are the only user group that does this without recognition.

We are the eyes of the CCFPD LEO's in those woods as well.

We are also the only user group that the FP district does NOT have to set aside real estate for. Hikers/bikers/skaters/bird watchers and dog walkers require trails, open spaces and the maintenance of those spaces are required for kite fliers, picnickers, gamers of one kind or another. Fishermen need stocked ponds with access. Our only real need is parking spaces, it is the only thing we have in common with other users.

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bags of scrap if you need proof of the kind garbage we retrieve. Or, they can just call my wife.

chiil

Greenie
Jul 31, 2010
Denver
Detector(s) used
DFX 300 w/ Sun Ray Probe, TDI SL SE
Any news on how the meeting went? I just dusted off my MD for the first time this year (we had a baby and work has been crazy!). Hoping to year some good news!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
We have another, smaller, working group meeting tonight with county officials. We will present a case for allowing our hobby and see where that gets us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread