Southern Illinois

Rosco161

Greenie
Sep 10, 2008
My son talked me into buying a Metal Detector. I bought him a Garrett Ace 250 to see if he likes it. Wanted to buy a White's but I thought it was too much money for a 14 year old. Anyway I wanted to know where a good place to start searching in the Southern Illinois area. We live across the river from St. Louis. What kind of items would we be finding is what I am wanting to know.

Can't wait to post some findings......

Rosco

OP
OP
R

Rosco161

Greenie
Sep 10, 2008
Thank you very much. My son has got me excited over finding some old coins and such. Do you know how these metal detectors work on the red dirt in Tennessee. My Grandfather who is 84 still has his fathers house from the 20's. I can't wait to get down there, but I didn't know how the different type of dirt would be.

Rosco

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
If you go to the section on the forum where you can get state info you can post your question there and get LOTs of feedback!

I can tell you that if you find a house built around 1960 or so you SHOULD find wheat pennies and the occasional silver coin. For every decade older you go your chances increase.

The 250 is a good machine and you will find lots of fun stuff if you learn how to use it.

There are a lot of people on this forum from TN, MS, AL, they can tell you about the soil conditions there.

Good luck.

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you located in Southern Illinois. I am from Murphysboro.

OP
OP
R

Rosco161

Greenie
Sep 10, 2008
I am in Granite City. We have many parks here but they have been detected over and over.... I am still looking to find my first something old.... LOL

I have been out twice so far and found a Toy Car and a modern quarter....

crbohn

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2008
Illinois - St Louis
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV
I know where Granite City is. I was also thinking about getting into MDing and wanted to find some areas to make sure this would be worth it. I am from Maryville/Collinsville area. Have you found anything yet that would be a good place to start?

mrjosh

Aug 1, 2008
Paducah, Kentucky & Hendersonville, Tn
Detector(s) used
Prizm III.
bullseye pinpointer
Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have family in the Quincy area. When I go up there to visit we always try to go thru Alton, unless the River is high. Love to eat the fish sandwitches in Grafton.

OP
OP
R

Rosco161

Greenie
Sep 10, 2008
crbohn said:
I know where Granite City is. I was also thinking about getting into MDing and wanted to find some areas to make sure this would be worth it. I am from Maryville/Collinsville area. Have you found anything yet that would be a good place to start?

Not really, I am still very new and learning every day. I have tried to hit older parks in the area but I end up finding more trash than anything.... It helps to keep the Parks Clean though.... LOL

crbohn

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2008
Illinois - St Louis
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV
I have found a great place in Maryville. Everything from Maryville to Alton has a great history to it. I should be getting my MD soon, so I will start in this area. After I get it nailed down, I will send you a response on what I have found.

Chris

catfishterry

Jan 22, 2006
Troy Il.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Vibra probe
The ace 250 should work good in the Tennessee dirt, I lived a long time in Cumberland City Tn. and now I wish I had a metal detector back then to hunt the river bottoms on my grandfathers farm. Also former Granite City boy, Now living in Troy.

goldsworthy

Aug 2, 2009
kytreasureghost said:
I have family in the Quincy area. When I go up there to visit we always try to go thru Alton, unless the River is high. Love to eat the fish sandwitches in Grafton.
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2009/10/04/ill_treasure_hunt_halted_as_possible_prank/

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
kytreasureghost said:
Hi Kytreasureghost. Which fish place in Grafton do you stop at? I like Beasleys the best. It's the little place on the west side just before you leave Grafton. I live on the other side of Marquette Park. So know what you mean when the water is up. LOL Good Hunting.

mrjosh

Aug 1, 2008
Paducah, Kentucky & Hendersonville, Tn
Detector(s) used
Prizm III.
bullseye pinpointer
Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Knightwalker said:
kytreasureghost said:
Hi Kytreasureghost. Which fish place in Grafton do you stop at? I like Beasleys the best. It's the little place on the west side just before you leave Grafton. I live on the other side of Marquette Park. So know what you mean when the water is up. LOL Good Hunting.

I think it is Beaslys, you eat on the deck facing the river. When I was a kid we would stop a the Marquette Lodge as a rest stop. I always liked the big christmas tree there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread