417 RELIC HUNTERS hit the classroom, Mrs. Russells 5th and 6th grade classes

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
417 RELIC HUNTERS hit the classroom, Mrs. Russell's 5th and 6th grade classe's

Date: May 08, 2008 07:09PM

Chris Russell, his Dad Steve Russell {Ashdigger} invited me to tag along to a Civil War presentation at a local Elementary here. Chris had it set up for us to be in three different classe's. His wife is a teacher and we able to include her class as well. It was a good day to do it as it was raining and cool out. It took most of the day but was well worth it seeing the excitement in the kids eyes and hearing all the questions they had! Chris started off with a well planned power point presentation. He gave prizes to kids that answered some of the questions he asked about the Civil War. He also talked about our 417 Relic Hunters Club and what we do. Steve had his detecting gear on and did a few demonstrations with his detector. He also passed around a couple of cannon balls around and the kids got a kick out of holding them. I finished up by showing some pictures of some of the Div hunts. I explained about Diggin In Virginia and showed how the soldiers winter quarters { huts } held valuable and interesting relics. How the soldiers lived and how they died fighting for what they believed in. I passed around several display case's and explained what the relics inside were. They were amazed to see all the relics I had dug dug from right here in our local area. The kids had so many questions and were so excited to learn. I was so impressed with them and how so many seemed to already have a passion about it. I think we will have many new Div relic hunters in a couple years!

Attachments

• chris speaking to the kids1.jpg
    chris speaking to the kids1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 301
  • kids listening to Steve talk.jpg
    kids listening to Steve talk.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 293
  • me showing some div pics 2.jpg
    me showing some div pics 2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 296
  • steve showing the detector.jpg
    steve showing the detector.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 312
  • showing the kids some dropped 3 ringers.jpg
    showing the kids some dropped 3 ringers.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 296
  • steve showing a bullet.jpg
    steve showing a bullet.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 296
OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 417 RELIC HUNTERS hit the classroom, Mrs. Russell's 5th and 6th grade classe's

More pics

Attachments

• kids looking at the relics.jpg
    kids looking at the relics.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 316
  • chris doing presentation.jpg
    chris doing presentation.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 298
  • steve talking to kids 1.jpg
    steve talking to kids 1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 304

schlooppy

Dec 22, 2005
Kansas City, Mo.
Re: 417 RELIC HUNTERS hit the classroom, Mrs. Russell's 5th and 6th grade classe's

very cool guys, wish I was a little bit closer to you guys I would love to go and hunt sometime

John

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thats so cool what you guys did....I wonder how many went home n said, Mom,can I have a metal detector

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

Outstanding,guys.Shows the dedication,compassion and just what kind of persons you are. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Guys....that was so cool.....i am proud to be a member of 417...Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread