Anyone interested in metal detecting in Statesville area?

DigDug216

Feb 22, 2016
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (May2015) and Equinox 800 (March2019)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
When are you free to go hunting? My E-MAIL is [email protected]

int737, where are you located in NC? You've some impressive equipment there!

Personally, I'd have asked him to PM me. The world can see your e-mail address now :(

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I am new to the area and looking for people to detect with here in the Statesville area. I have read a few history books and have some places to hunt. Let me know if you are interested in detecting together.

One thing for you to remember since you're near Winston-Salem. It's illegal to hunt the city parks there. I'd check on Statesville if I were you - you don't need any trouble, it would discourage you from hunting.

Other than that, go have fun and good luck! Someday we might get together for a hunt or two!

int737

Greenie
Sep 4, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030 and Explorer SE pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeepseekerADS,

How's your CTX performing for you?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
DeepseekerADS, How's your CTX performing for you?

The CTX was exactly what I was looking for in a detector, it works period!

The ONLY thing about it that irks me is lower shaft to upper shaft insertion/extension tightness. I've thought about putting talcum powder on it for lubrication, but am holding off on that.

The FE/CO numbers have been very accurate, reaches deeeeep! It's one heck a lot better on ergonomics than the Etrac was.

I won't use it in the water due to the leakage problems revealed by others. Frogmaster posted fixes for this, but I'd had my eye on the Excal II for a long time and finally worked out a way to get one.

The book by Andy Sabisch is far, far better than the manual - those menus are very deep on CTX and you can easily get lost if you haven't studied the menus. Yet even Andy's book takes several reads to get through the depths of complexity.

Since you've used the Explorer you should have rolled right into the CTX as easily as I did. How do you like it so far?

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing for you to remember since you're near Winston-Salem. It's illegal to hunt the city parks there. I'd check on Statesville if I were you - you don't need any trouble, it would discourage you from hunting.

Other than that, go have fun and good luck! Someday we might get together for a hunt or two!

Deepseeker,

Can you provide a link or documentation that you can't metal detect in the WS city parks? I'm not disagreeing with you, it's just I don't recall seeing any signs prohibiting it.

Thanks.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I found out from an older post from about 3 years ago on here. I had planned to hit some of the parks since my daughter lived there. You're correct, I've yet to see a sign forbidding it. Maybe contact the city about it. I just Googled and here's the link to Forsyth County:

https://www.co.forsyth.nc.us/Parks/rules.aspx

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well well... looky who showed up on Treasurenet.

How did you find out about TNet? Did a guy you ran into in Statesville tell you about it?

Welcome to TNet and best of luck to you!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Still looking, but I found a thread on another MD'ing forum where the individual called the city and was cleared to go beeping. I'd call the city to make darned sure.

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still looking, but I found a thread on another MD'ing forum where the individual called the city and was cleared to go beeping. I'd call the city to make darned sure.

Thanks for checking. Next time I am near one of the parks I'll swing by and see if any of the signs mention detecting.

Two areas that I know of in Forsyth County (not in the city limits) that prohibit it are Tanglewood Park and the 421 River Park on the Yadkin. Metal Detecting is one of the list of prohibited activities at the river park. I was very surprised to see that.

If I find out something for sure on the city parks I'll let you know.

Thanks again.

ETA: Here is the link to the County Parks (not city). It does specifically mention detectors are not allowed.
http://www.co.forsyth.nc.us/Parks/rules.aspx
Bill

Last edited:

int737

Greenie
Sep 4, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not illegal to hunt the city parks in the city of Winston Salem, but Forsyth county parks are off limits. Forsyth county parks are posted!!!!!! DeepseekerADS Anytime you are in Winston-Salem, Please call to set up time to doing some hunting.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
We'll do that! I'm retired, so I have plenty time. Cold tonight up this holler! Next week looks much better weather wise. My daughter came up here last time, so now it's my turn to go see her! I'm PM you contact info.

int737

Greenie
Sep 4, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeepseekerADS

lower shaft to upper shaft insertion/extension tightness: I would not use talcum powder on the composite material.
Water leakage: check how the stock o-ring is installed in the unit (ctx3030) The stock o-ring has a rounded side and a flat side. Flat side to unit / rounded side to the battery.
Have you attended any of Andy Sabisch boot camps…? Yes his book is very helpful.
CTX 3030 has perform perfect for the last 3 years.

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's this place in Statesville that's not to far from the beach that's got some good relic hunting spots near it. Good Luck

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
There's this place in Statesville that's not to far from the beach that's got some good relic hunting spots near it. Good Luck

Is it near that Victorian house where the guy and his daughter were hunting?

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's close to there I think, but I'm not sure. Gotta drive an hour south towards Raleigh and take a left towards Georgia and it's beside the walmart

ocitalis

Mar 10, 2016
Charlotte NC
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just moved to Charlotte from Atlanta. I am mostly an Indian relic hunter (I don't own a metal detector), but if anyone wants a buddy (for metal detecting, prospecting, rockhounding, arrowhead hunting) I'd like to tag along. Preferably within 90 minutes of Charlotte.

OP
OP
D

DigDug216

Feb 22, 2016
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (May2015) and Equinox 800 (March2019)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm interested in detecting. I'm in Statesville NC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions