Chattanooga area

stonewallsmen

Feb 18, 2011
Fort Bragg
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Greetings everyone. I'm new to the site, and I've only been in Chattanooga a year. I'm active duty Army on recruiting duty. I've been wanting to get into relic hunting, but I don't really know where to start. I've talked to a couple of the local groups, but does anyone know of some places I might be able to try my first hunt? If anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Kimbrough

Jun 18, 2006
Signal Mountain, TN
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Welcome! There is a TON of history in this area (I am in Chatt too). Its a big no-no to detect in the TVA-run parks and Civil War battlefield sites. Your best bet may be to get permission to hunt private land. Google CW battles in Chattanooga and Wheeler's Raid and you'll find plenty of history to guide you. Good luck!

OP
OP
stonewallsmen

stonewallsmen

Feb 18, 2011
Fort Bragg
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you ever need or want a hunting partner let me know, and I will be more then happy to go with.

Jan 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys i got some good info that might help in your search. I am new to this site also and i myself live in chattanooga to. im just starting to get into metal detecting more and lately i was at one of the local marinas and i saw a TVA Officer sitting in his truck. I knew it was illegal to metal detect on TVA property but i was curious if there was any way to get permission. It turns out that "ANYONE CAN METAL DETECT ON TVA PROPERTY" he said, "All you have to do is go to the loval TVA Administration building (wherever that is) and fill out a form that requires them to copy your licence and other information! So guys if you know a good spot, but is on TVA property, you can still detect there. just gotta jump through a few loops first. : ) hope this helps and if you both ever need an extra man to metal detect with give me a shout!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TVA Cultural Resources
Frequently Asked Questions

What is a cultural resource?

It’s a location where human activity, occupation, or use has taken place in the past. Cultural resources are identified through field surveys, historical documents, or oral evidence, and they include archaeological sites, historic sites like battlefields, historic structures, and historic items such as the Liberty Bell.
What is archaeology?

Archaeology is the scientific study of past human cultures through analysis of the material remains that people in the past have left behind.
Am I allowed to collect artifacts or relics from TVA land?

The Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979 (ARPA) makes it illegal to excavate archaeological sites on federal property, which includes TVA land, without a research permit. Although there are no penalties under this act for removing arrowheads that you find on the ground, these artifacts are still considered federal property and you can be charged with Theft of Government Property if found to be in possession of artifacts taken from TVA property. It’s important to understand that artifacts by themselves do not tell us anything about people of the past. We need to know the context of the artifact—where it was found, for example, and what other items were near it—in order for it all to make sense. If you have discovered something that may be an artifact, the best thing to do is leave it in place.
Am I allowed to use a metal detector on TVA land?

The use of metal detectors on TVA property is prohibited.
What should I do if I see illegal digging or looting of an archaeological site on TVA land?

If you witness the looting of an archaeological site on TVA land, do not confront the person who is doing it. Please note as many details as possible of the incident (e.g., date, time, location, description of the individual, license plate or boat registration numbers) and report the incident to TVA Security at the following numbers:
Knoxville

• 1-800-824-3861 (toll-free)
  • 865-632-3631
  • 865-632-4318 (TDD)
Chattanooga

• 1-800-548-4005 (toll-free)
  • 423-751-4005
  • 423-751-2605 (TDD)
See information about laws related to cultural resources.

What should I do if I think I’ve discovered human remains on TVA land?

Please do not remove any remains that you discover on TVA lands. Contact local authorities or TVA Security at one of the numbers listed above so they can begin an investigation.
How do I get information on cemeteries relocated by TVA?

TVA maintains a cemetery relocation database, which includes information on graves that were relocated as part of TVA projects. Read more about the relocation process and the location of existing records.
Is my house (barn, shed, etc.) a historic property? Is it eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places?

For more information on whether your structure may be a historic property, visit the National Register of Historic Places Web site. TVA’s Cultural Resources staff may also be able to answer questions. You may contact them by sending an e-mail.
Where can I obtain copies of TVA archaeological publications?

TVA archaeological reports are for sale through TVA Map and Photo Records:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be curios if anyone can get a permit. This is our land after all ???

doc801

Dec 5, 2012
EAST RIDGE, TN
Detector(s) used
GARRET ACE 250, BOUNTY HUNTER PIONEER 202
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know this an old thread and I just joined. I be glad to link up with you. I live in the East Ridge area Doc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread