If anyone is bored....See if you can find the old Camino Real...(TX)

D

DamonH

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Damon: The Mission San Juan Bautista was located near the present village of Guerrero, on the Mex. side of the Rio Grande, about 35 mi. SE
of Eagle Pass. The old Road was heavily used from 1700 to the Mexican War. From Jan./Feb.,1836, Guerrero served as a staging area for Gen.
Santa Anna's Army on it's way to the Alamo. Then, in 1842, Rafael Vasquez, having looted San Antoine withdrew to Guerrero with his Plunder.
On Oct. 9, 1846, US Gen. Wool encamped his Army of Chihuahua near the Village.
The possibilities of MD the old trail are very good. Owing to the History, there should be many relics & who knows what else along the Road!

Joe

Black Cloud

May 22, 2006
Buscadero described it accurately. I live in Uvalde, and I know it ran very close to hwy 90 at this point. Many years ago a man did some imagery (some of the first) for a landowner and showed her the location of the old road on her place. He said she was able to find many artifacts with a metal detector. There is also a story associated with the old mission @ Guererro, but I never took the time to work it all out. It would all be on private property, but I know there are many maps of it and a little bit of calculating, one could probably get pretty close. I use the Perry Castenada map collection @ the University of Texas Library (online) for most of my Texas questions. Cloud

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
VICTORIO said:
DanonH. What I'm about to tell you I myself find hard to beleave. I once met an old lady who is now gone. This lady used to live in Piedras Negras Coahuila Mx. She once told me of an old Spanish under ground tunnel in Guerrero Coahuila close to the Mision de San Bernardo. She claimed her husband knew where the entrance to this very old tunnel was but, had long since been sealed by the then ranch owner. She claimed that the spanish were mining for gold in Monclova Coahuila. They would then transport the gold from Monclova to the San Bernanrdo Mision. They would then enter this tunnel which was on the now Mexican side. This tunnel supposedly ran under the Rio Grande and continued to run under ground all the way to San Antonio Tx" ALL THE WAY TO THE ALAMO " ( under ground ) She further told me that the Alamo had a series of tunnels that ran under it. She said this tunnel was wide enough for a wagon to pass through it. The Spaniards would use this system to avoid contact with hostile Indians. This tunnel was very "ancient" and built way before the Spaniards arrived. Don't know how true this is. Just passing on information.

I have heard this before somewhere, Its a crazy thought but wouldn't it be amazing if something like this was ever found!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread