Roll Hunters - Send me pics / I send you...

springcypress

Jun 9, 2008
Cypress Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
I'm working on a site about CRH and I need content. I enjoy CRHing, but I don't search through enough boxes to generate the content that I need. I'd like to have enough content so that I can publish short little posts at least every other weekday. Ideally I'd like to be able to post on this schedule
First Monday - Cents
First Wednesday - Dimes
First Friday - Halves
Second Monday - Nickels
Second Wednesday - Quarters
Second Friday - Stellar Box of the month
Fourth Friday - Realized auction prices for metals (silver / copper / nickel)
Repeat
Occasionally there will be an extra day in here - I've reserved those for "special" things.

So here's the deal:
I need some avid CRHers (and by avid I mean 2 or more boxes of the same denomination a month) to send me:
1. a picture of your keepers from each box (each post will be about 1 box)
2. a short inventory of what's in the pic
3. where the box was purchased

That's it. More than likely some of you are already doing all three for your own records so all this will require is shooting me an email.

Here's where it get's tricky. I'd like people to "sign" up for this. I don't "need" a hundred people sending me their finds (although that would be awesome). I just "need" 2 a month for each denomination. I'm also not opposed to people signing up for more than 1 denomination.

And this is where it gets really tricky. The site doesn't bring in any income. It might some day, but not any time in the near future. But I'd like to be able to show a little gratitude to those that signed up to help me out.

What I've decided to do is to send each person who signs up for one of the denominations $2.50 a month. So if one person signs up for cents and nickels and then sends me the info on 4 boxes (2 cents / 2 nickels) I'd then paypal them $5.00. I know it's not a lot but it is a little something.

SO... I'm going to use this thread as the "SIGN UP" form. Respond to the thread and I'll place your name in the blank. If you want to sign up for more than 1 that's fine. I'll pm more details to those that sign up.

Cents - Kansastide________
Nickels - ___________________
Dimes - ____________________
Quarters - __________________
Halves - Silver_Fox

Thanks!

Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
<<I need some avid CRHers (and by avid I mean 2 or more boxes of the same denomination a month)>>

To me, someone who is avid does 5 or more boxes a week. And the rest of us do 5 boxes sometimes in a day. ;-) But 2 a month is someone who really isn't into this at all, IMHO.

I still do about 20 boxes of pennies a month, but for a while there I was doing 10 boxes a week from one bank PLUS four boxes once a month from three others. About 50- 55 boxes per month. With copper prices down, my stash growing, and my time waning, I'm down to just the 20 per month now. (Four per week from only one of those banks now) So, even as a slacker I'm at 20 a month. Which is why I say 2 a month is not an avid CRH'er.

Either way though, good luck with your blog. I wish you well, and hope you get some people signed up. By the way, did you scroll to teh bottom of the CRH page and look at hte Western and Eastern treasure articles that show up? The one in the very middle is on CRHing, and worth your reading. ;-) LOL.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Two a month is a little low. I would say 2 a week is a pretty series CRH'er.

Though it all depends on the denomination and what you are looking for of course.

Just getting whats from Pennies is a lot faster than taking out copper (in addition to the fact that hoarding copper costs a lot more and will probably lower the number of boxes you do, unless you want like thousands and thousands of dollars in copper face).

Same thing with other denominations... if you just keep old nickels that is one thing... but checking for fs takes more time depending on your method of checking.

And with halves, with just rim searching, 2 boxes a week is nothing... but then you need to consider that those boxes aren't cheap, so you need a lot of capital to do a ton of boxes. Also, searching for 87's or commens, etc. also takes quite a bit more time than just rim searching...

~Dave

OP
OP
springcypress

springcypress

Jun 9, 2008
Cypress Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Searching 50 boxes, 25 bags, 122 car seats, and 82 ashtrays a month is awesome. I'd love that sort of info coming in, BUT I don't think it's realistic.

For what I'm working on I would like to have info on at least 2 hunts a month of the same denomination. More is great, at least 2 is what I need for content scheduling purposes.

If someone signed up and wanted to send me info on more than 2 hunts / month, I for sure wouldn't turn them down.

BUT I didn't want someone who is only able to search through a couple of boxes a month to think that I wouldn't appreciate their help. I most definitely would.

As to what makes someone avid... On a good month I get to search through 4 or 5 boxes.
I work on places like this
http://www.ship-wrecks.co.uk/images/OilRig_000.jpg
and this
http://www.troutbrook.com/Picures/landscape0005.jpg
Sometimes it's kind of hard to find banks in the local area.
On average I'll work 3 weeks out of the month (2 weeks on / 2 weeks off... always seem to get called in for at least a few days on my days off).
When I am at home I have several things I have to attend to (stupid family / pets / housework / etc...) but none the less I do try to sneak in a couple of boxes.

The nice thing about my job is that I usually have some form of internet access (like right now) and I have a technical position (not manual labor). I have lots of time to work on a website but boxes, not so much

SO am I avid? That's your call.

Regardless I appreciate your comments and would love to work with either of you. As I said in my original post though, this site doesn't make any money and even if I monetize it probably will never make it into the black. I'm devote $50 a month to it (I'm currently $250 in). That comes out to $600 a year which would buy a pretty nice key for most of my collections, but I enjoy this hobby enough (regardless of whether I'm and avid CRHer) to try to add to the information pool and hopefully turn more people on to it... as I think it is so much fun. I just thought it would be nice to at least offer something in return for helping me out and after running through the numbers $2.50 was about what I could afford in the budget.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
springcypress said:
As to what makes someone avid... On a good month I get to search through 4 or 5 boxes.

That would make you a casual (frequency), CRH'r.
It would also explain the high average % of wheaties you have found - small sample.

Good luck on your project!

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
I dont order boxes but rely on the shear number of banks i have in my area...some days i hit 12 or 15 banks with nothing and other times i get a box worth in a day...whatever is on hand is what i get...sometimes rolls and most times loose...i am avid by numbers of banks i hit but finding halves is touch and go...i do however manage a decent amount of silver.. ;D
but checking for fs takes more time depending on your method of checking.
Dave...remind me about the F's.... :icon_scratch: my memory on them has failed :dontknow:

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only do halves anymore, normally 2 boxes a week, sometimes more

OP
OP
springcypress

springcypress

Jun 9, 2008
Cypress Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
FS is the abbreviation for Full Steps

I'm nor entirely sure what the exact requirements of FS are but I know them when I see them

There can't be any hits that on the steps of Monticello, and at least 4 steps have to be completely visible (or is it 5?).

And thanks Kansastide for taking the cents!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread