dateless buffalos and vinegar

snappy

Jan 23, 2007
sidney montana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
dateless buffalo's and vinegar

Over the past year I got a few dateless buffalo nickels read that soaking them in vinegar will bring out the dates... it does. These were totally dateless and It took several weeks of soaking.

I got excited when I saw the 1914 and could start to make out a mint mark I was hopping for a D but 4 days later I could see it was an S The other 1914 did not yield up any mint mark.. still not bad I will keep them.

1914- S

I also put a dateless SLQ in there still no change on it I will keep soaking for another month or so Then I will give up on it if no changes.

Upvote 0

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Re: dateless buffalo's and vinegar

Great information, and thank you for sharing with us. Is there anyway to see some pictures.

Thanks,
Jason

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100

Jason,

I did the same thing when I saw the post about the vinegar. Here are some images.

65GT350

Attachments

• BuffNick001.jpg
    BuffNick001.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 355

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

snappy said:
I also put a dateless SLQ in there still no change on it I will keep soaking for another month or so Then I will give up on it if no changes.

You might as well remove the quarter from the vinegar. Silver does not react like nickel does. As far as I know of, there is no way to restore the date on a dateless silver coin.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

There is a way to lift dates from worn silver coins. I have read about it but unfortunately don't remember what the article said. I do have a walking liberty half that somone took another coin against. It left scraping marks of course but the date became visible. I think there is a safer method that has to do with special lighting but like I said I can't remember the details.

-golden silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread