Advice for a new coin roll hunter?

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
I'm a 24 year old Electrical Engineer who believes that with the money the FED is throwing at our economic problems silver will increase 3 to 4 fold in a few years. I remember when I was little I used to go through my dad's coins and save all the wheat pennies. If only I had saved pre 1964 because I'm sure there was a lot!!! Anyways, I started looking at coins again and ended up here! What an outstanding website, great to see people's finds. Anyways, for starters, two days ago I got $50 in dimes and $50 in quarters. no luck, although i found 2 or 3 bicentennials. Any 'collector' value here?

After reading on here it looks like I'd be better off looking through half dollars. I stopped by three banks yesterday and got $20 in pennies and at the third one got $72 worth of half dollars. For pennies, anything specific I should be looking for other than what? I know pre 1982 are 95% copper, but are there any specific coins that have decent flaws of worth?

I ended up finding a 1964, 1967 (3) and a 1969-D (1). Wheat wise I found 1942, 1952-D and 1955-D through half the rolls. Is it good to keep the 1976 Bicentennial half dollars? I found several but composition wise they are not silver. Any advice on half dollars / pennies and any other change would be greatly appreciated.

good luck

Upvote 0

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Let's see, how to put this nicely (as you are far from the first "newbie" to ask.)

Please read the entire first post on this forum,titled "BEGINNERS GUIDE TO COIN ROLL HUNTING!!! + TERMS "

If, after reading the entire post you have any other questions, this forum is filled with many knowledgeable and willing members.

All we ask is that the basic "G2" be done by any newbie; and that first aforementioned post was purposely created to address you folk.

Welcome.

OP
OP
phrostie

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
Thanks, yes I actually read that yesterday. My questions were listed in there, and although maybe not clear enough for you, I had asked if bicentennials are worth saving. After going back to the beginners guide again today I was unable to see any info on bicentennials.

Also, flawed coins such as 1969-S penny or others were not covered, and was looking for a basic outline of coins I should be checking.

Sorry for not specifying my question.

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Hello and welcome to a great hobby and great forum. The begginers guide is a great place to start, a little long but there is alot of great info on there so it is well worth the read. As for bicentennials, there is HUGE amounts out there. I heard of someone on hear saying about an error on them but I havent seen or heard any thing about it. Those I just bring them right back to the bank. I will give you a quick run down of what I search for.

Always ask for LARGE dollar coins at banks(usually just get Eisenhower dollars that are worth face value, but I did get a 1976S silver)

Halves: I keep all 2002 and newer(not meant for circulation)some dont keep but they are nice to complete your set.
1965 - 1970 are 40% silver (keepers)
1964 are 90% silver (real keepers)
if ya get lucky pre 1964 (I have found one Franklin half dollar)
Also look for S mint marks (they are proofs...Keepers)
Quarters: I dont waste my time, very hard to find keepers(pre '65 are 90% silver)
Dimes: I do sometimes for a change(pre '65 keepers, average 1 every $300 searched)
Nickels: my most searched at this time.
I keep everything Pre 1960 (keep an eye out for silver "WAR" nickels, some 1942 and all of 1943, 1944, 1945. easily noticed by the mint mark being above the building on the back)
Pennies: I keep all wheats
There is alot of errors out there for pennies but I dont take the time to search for the errors, but i think I am going to start.

You will pick up your own style of searching and your own favorite thing to search. I like nickels and pennies because you usually never get disappointed with a box. Usaully find a bit of keepers in each box. well again welcome to the hobby and most of all have fun, the money is great but it is mostly about the hunt.

Happy Hunting,
Jason

packfan_1982

Jun 22, 2008
Omaha NE
Detector(s) used
F70 / ACE 250
Yeah there isn't much point in keeping the bicentenials other than gifting them to people who do think they have value. As for any error coins there are a couple of websites out there that detail the different types of errors and what years have them. Just google error coins or something along those lines and should be headed in the right direction. Good luck!

Josh

LHMN

Greenie
Oct 12, 2008
St. Paul
Detector(s) used
Ace 205
Dandow20
I’m also quite new to this hobby (4 months) and found a lot of good info at this web site http://www.tricklenews.com/pebble/default/2008/01/07/1199697540000.html I also like to go the eBay-coin and money and check out the errors section, I have not bought anything from there but I find the pictures are helpful examples to see what I’m looking for. I have also spent a lot of time reading the past entries from this site (I learn something every day). Like Shake-N-Bake said you will find your own style.
Happy Hunting
Luke

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
If you are going to date check cents and pull coppers I would create a couple more piles so you can check for errors / varieties such as:

1970-S Small Date
1972 (DDO (Double Die Obverse))
1983 (DDR (Double Die Reverse))
1984 (DDO)
1995 (DDO)

There are some Wide AM coins in the 98-00 years that you could look for too.

Best of luck,
65GT350

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
The Red Book. Coin price guide is a must.
And check out another book called "Strike It Rich with pocket change" this one thoroughly cover all the modern day errors

Welcome to your obsession.

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread