Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I picked up a Brink's box of nickels before a meeting. When I got home and checked the ends of the rolls (which I always do when I get any rolls) I saw the fronts of 3 Buffalo nickels! After seeing that I knew it was going to be a good box but I didn't expect what I found next. Almost every other roll had a Buffalo in it! WOW! I have only ever found 2 of them in my CRH career and those came in 2007. After it was all said and done, I came out with 18 of them! The only bad thing is all but one of them were dateless. :-\ The one that actually had a date was a 1916, but it is in pretty bad condition as you can see from the picture. The pre-1960's were pretty good too. I got 36 of them with 2 of them being 1939.

Included is a picture of the Buffalo herd for those of you who like pictures. :icon_sunny:

-Codes

Attachments

• IMG_0596.JPG
    IMG_0596.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 316
Upvote 0

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wonder why someone got rid of um congrats :thumbsup:

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aa battery said:
wonder why someone got rid of um congrats :thumbsup:

That's a good question. Maybe someone's relative died and the family cashed them in. Or maybe someone just wanted to get rid of the dateless ones from their collection. Or possibly someone came upon some hard times and needed some cash. The possibilities are endless. For me, part of the fun of CRH is thinking about how these coins got into circulation. There is a story behind every coin.

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Awesome!! I always wanted a good old nickle on an end roll like that. Thanks for the photo, and congrats!

fiddycent

Oct 23, 2008
i have a theory.

undoubtedly some older coins, maybe entire collections, are turned in for various and sundry reasons but i think the majority of the older stuff we find is still held by the fed for the most part.

i think a LOT of the older stuff we find has been in the fed system for ages and had to be accounted for every yearly with no regard to its bullion or numismatic value. it's looked upon as merely a fiddycent piece regardless of whether it's a '95 P kennedy or a 1838-O capped bust. it was counted by hand and then re-bagged for decades during the annual fed accounting audits. as time went on and these coins didn't quite make it to somebody's collection they were returned to the fed where they were counted annually by automated counters and re-bagged. as newer issue coins were issued and made it back to the system they had to be counted too. over time the older stuff, in small quantities, got mixed in with the newer stuff. that would also explain the extreme amounts of wear we see on the older coins. it's probable that most of the coins we find suffered from years of circulation before they made it back to the fed and managed to stay out of circulation for years only to suffer more years of sliding across counting tables at the fed before we find them.

when an unusually high volume of a certain denomination coin is ordered it forces the fed to go deeper into the vaults to meet demand. that, if my theory is correct, is when the really old stuff starts being found. as someone told me once..."if ya don't find silver in one box...order two. if ya don't find silver in two boxes....order four."

whatchoo think?

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fiddycent said:
i have a theory.

undoubtedly some older coins, maybe entire collections, are turned in for various and sundry reasons but i think the majority of the older stuff we find is still held by the fed for the most part.

i think a LOT of the older stuff we find has been in the fed system for ages and had to be accounted for every yearly with no regard to its bullion or numismatic value. it's looked upon as merely a fiddycent piece regardless of whether it's a '95 P kennedy or a 1838-O capped bust. it was counted by hand and then re-bagged for decades during the annual fed accounting audits. as time went on and these coins didn't quite make it to somebody's collection they were returned to the fed where they were counted annually by automated counters and re-bagged. as newer issue coins were issued and made it back to the system they had to be counted too. over time the older stuff, in small quantities, got mixed in with the newer stuff. that would also explain the extreme amounts of wear we see on the older coins. it's probable that most of the coins we find suffered from years of circulation before they made it back to the fed and managed to stay out of circulation for years only to suffer more years of sliding across counting tables at the fed before we find them.

when an unusually high volume of a certain denomination coin is ordered it forces the fed to go deeper into the vaults to meet demand. that, if my theory is correct, is when the really old stuff starts being found. as someone told me once..."if ya don't find silver in one box...order two. if ya don't find silver in two boxes....order four."

whatchoo think?

The problem with that theory is that most of the coin is not actually held at the fed, but at the armored car services. The fed grants them rights to be depositories (not sure that is the right term) for the fed and instead of shipping them all the way back to the fed they just go back to the armored car service, get rerolled, and shipped back to the banks. Now different armored services will have different supplies of different denominations, so I am guessing the fed is involved somehow to make sure that they have adequate supply, but it might only be to add new coins to the mix. I can't remember the details offhand.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds!!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rodzm said:
Nic-a-Date would be fun to use!!!!

True, I was thinking about that. But I like to keep my finds in the condition they are when I found them.

Also, I'm gonna hit up that same bank on Monday for another nickel box, or two if I can. Maybe the box I got had part of a larger batch of Buffalo's that someone dumped.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread