Street Coin Hunting

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
Hi Gang. If you are like me, and you must be if you are on this site, you can't get enough of coins and take them any way you can get them. My favorite method is metal detecting, but the finds come slow for me here in New York City. I have been doing Coin Roll hunting for about 5 weeks and I am enjoying it tremendously. About two months ago I started paying attention to what was lying in the streets. Well here in New York City we have plenty of people who are hurrying about, never looking down, and if they saw a coin would either be to busy or too cool to stop and pick it up. The result for me is in just over 2 months I have picked up 106 coins. Curious to see if any of you partake in this pastime. I would imagine you would need to be in a big city or some other high activity spot to get any results. Love to here someone elses imput on this. Merc 63.

Upvote 0

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
One day I saw about 1.80 in change laying outside of a Mickey D's drive through window, I walked over and picked up the dollar bill and a bunch of change, then all hell broke loose, the person in the window almost fell out of the window to fight me for the money. She was cussin' a blue streak at me about how that money belongs to Mickey D, I said back to her, that when she falls out of her box that I'd report her to her boss, and I left her hangin' there. I also denied her pleas of " help get me back up". I also told her , finders keepers! ;D.......NGE

tank014

Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Ace 250, Garret 1250
I work for the parks department and this year I kept all of the money I found on a daily basis in a milk container. Turned it in the other day and the grand total was 93.57 in change. I also found 4 20 dollar bills, 1 10 dollar bill, 1 Five, and 3 Ones. Not to mention other goodies the parks patrons left me. ;D ;D ;D
HH
Frank

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
eggbag said:
when skateboarding as a teen we would go thru the collection baskets for the car vacs at the gas stations for change to buy sodas with. We did very well it wasnt uncommon to get 10 bucks in one bin. Nowadays I see they lock some of them,but free money if you dont mind gettin a little dusty .

Bingo! We have a winner. I used to do the rounds in the town I went to college in and sometimes would pull over 1000 coins in a matter of about two hours. Sometimes found bill money, too.

dp2013

Sep 11, 2008
This is a little off topic-- but a recent trip to Disney World got me to wondering about coins on the ground.
At night the walkways have very little light-- if you drop something & it rolls even a little it's lost.
Also, every few minutes they go by with large vacuum cleaners that will suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.
If there was anyway to convince Disney to give you their vacuum waste bags I think you'd find coins & maybe some jewelry.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also pick up every coin I see in the street, and have been for about 21 yrs. now. I am a UPS delivery driver, who walks about 11 miles a day on my route. The way these young kids throw money around today is unreal. They dont even want to carry the change. I find an average of $ 375 - $ 400 each year just in coins I see and pick up while i'm working. They go into the big 5 gallon water jug and get tumbled at the end of each year, if its needed. Dont stop picking them up, it all adds up to a nice chunk of change over time. Ron

gtlfindings

Jan 11, 2007
ny
Detector(s) used
TESORO DeLeon
Nice Ron!!
My brother laughs at me for picking up coins but what ever!! Its a few cents more than I had!!
yesterday I found 14 cents dime 4 pennys on floor of bed bath and beyond and 4 cents in the elevator at work so 18 cents for my first day of "street coin hunting!!!"
Gerald
Cant wait to start for 2009!! LOL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread