1200 pounds of coin up for bid.

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here in Florida the Orlando Orange County Expressway Authority is selling off 66 bags of coin rejected by their counting machines. Dirty and bent US coin, foreign coin, tokens, ect. Total of 1200 lb of stuff. Sealed bids due by Dec 29Th. See the article by Dan Tracy in the Orlando Sentinel from Dec 20Th. I wonder if other roadway systems also do this ?

Teklord

Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Don't mind Gman, Elf... he enjoys math almost as much as going through penny bags and writing down what each and every penny he found was dated. =)

~Dave

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What can I say....I'm an engineer....math always came easy to me....

The simple part was the first few lines....(all I was originally intending to write)

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Hey GMan - good work there. :icon_study: I think I'd recalculate that though and take out the halves from the average since they are so rare in circulation so it may get too much weight here. The pennies on the other hand...people toss those in the buckets to spite the system pretty often so that may also send the average up a bit. Sure would be fun to look through the bags...

Maine_Jim

XX

Jan 11, 2008
My guess is the lot will sell for $2 to $4 per pound and will retail at $8 to $10 per pound.

Their value as scrap metal is very low, much lower than spot values due to the whole lot being commingled and there being no simple "automated" method to sort the metals (short of smelting, but then that wouldn't be simple).

While there will be some US coinage in there, I would not count on any silver. Think about it. Once the coins are in the system, the system's best interest is served by accepting and bagging as much coin as possible. Therefore, are you going to buy the $10,000 coin sorter with the EM sensors that rejects as much as the local coinstar machine, or are you going to get the high speed $2000 coin counter that mechanically sorts the coins and only uses a magnet to pull out rejects.

What that also means is that there will be a low percentage of 35% nickel coins and your foreign coins will be mostly (and in order of my guesses)

1. Canadian
2. Mexican
3. Euro
4. British

I am basing this guess based on my experiences with various coin counters and what I actually see them reject/accept.

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
Here's a story on NPR that might give you some idea of what you'd find. It's about a guy who routinely buys the rejected coins from NYC's parking meters.

Sounds like great fun to me ... if only my wife would give consent for the purchase (and we lived in FL)

I would guess most foreign coins come from Canada, Mexico, UK and Europe. If you regularly traveled to these places it'd be pretty easy to unload the stuff.

Brian

OP
OP
T

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The bids had to be in by noon today. My guess is it will be awarded tomorrow as then it would show as a receivable for year end accounting. If I don't hear anything I'll call in a few days and try to find out what the lot went for. May be a matter of public record somewhere also.

Tek

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, good luck!!! :o

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
The Suspense is Killing Me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, whats the good word? :icon_scratch:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats a lot higher than I thought it would be... :o

pepperpump

Feb 27, 2005
Manassas Park, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
After reading this, I think I may ask what they do with coins at a particular tollbooth I work near. I have access to the vault room, i just have to remeber to ask. It would have been nice if you won though.
Pepperpump :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread