I hate coin counting machines!

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to TD Bank (Formerly Commerce) to dump my rejects, because they have a free coin counting machine. Well, I dumped the remainder of my $100 in nickels and $50 in dimes, plus some pocket change. I KNOW that I dumped $50 in dimes, but the machine only counted $4.00. I told the teller about this, and they checked the machine. Well guess what? No jams in the machine or anything, so there's nothing they can really do about it. They took my name and phone number and said they would call me after they send it out, and if there's any discrepancy they would call me and refund me the money. I doubt that will happen. So, I'm out $50 and the bank is out my business.

Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Rich Hartford said:
I did a google search this morning on free coin machines and found many complaints about them. Funny how they never overpay you.
I'd avoid using them.

The idea of having to roll all my dumps is a nightmare. I will stick to a coin counting machine. If you know how much you take in, you will know if you are getting ripped off or not. I would avoid any machine that ripped me off.

I still buy bags from machines when I can. Some banks will rerun the coins thru the machine before I get them. I never ask for that and often fear they will see some silvers and grab them. But that has not happened yet and the count is generally the same after they run it again.

I think it is worth the gamble even if they don't rerun the coins. Losing 41 bucks would suck when there is no silver, but if it was a good bag you could recoup the loss with 8 or so 90%s in there. I have picked up bags of halves with quarters, pennies and dollar coins in them, so maybe some halves get dumped into the bags for other coins?

Jim

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
jim4silver said:
Rich Hartford said:
I did a google search this morning on free coin machines and found many complaints about them. Funny how they never overpay you.
I'd avoid using them.

The idea of having to roll all my dumps is a nightmare. I will stick to a coin counting machine. If you know how much you take in, you will know if you are getting ripped off or not. I would avoid any machine that ripped me off.

I still buy bags from machines when I can. Some banks will rerun the coins thru the machine before I get them. I never ask for that and often fear they will see some silvers and grab them. But that has not happened yet and the count is generally the same after they run it again.

I think it is worth the gamble even if they don't rerun the coins. Losing 41 bucks would suck when there is no silver, but if it was a good bag you could recoup the loss with 8 or so 90%s in there. I have picked up bags of halves with quarters, pennies and dollar coins in them, so maybe some halves get dumped into the bags for other coins?

Jim

hey i hear that jim. Thats why i never really got nervous cuz i figure if the bag is short if there i even half a roll of 90's il still make my money back. I guess i could have donw worse. I found 3 90's and 3 40's so if you add up the silver i only lost around 25.00. Still sux though

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
I'd avoid using them.

Depends on the machines, the ones I use have rarely been off more than a coin or two and usually its a penny switching with a dime (both directions so in the end its a wash).

And on top of that they are self-serve so no heavy lifting for the tellers. :)

LemonThrower

Jun 23, 2008
Here is how you turn the tables.

1. Buy bags instead of rolls. I never count them but there are probably extras in ever bag, not to mention a buck or two in dimes, pennies, nickels, foreign coins, etc.

2. buy a used coin counter from ebay. a cs-10 goes for about $150. You can use the counter to fill up a bag of 2000 halves. Go to a commercial bank in town and deposit the bag into your account. Depositing a bag is a lot faster than dumping in a machine and you are certain you won't get cheated.

Now, not every branch will sell you bags and not every branch will accept bagged deposits. Do some legwork on the front end and you will save a lot of time.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My coin counting machine shorted me 2 cents today......First time its ever happened.

-Codes

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LemonThrower said:
Here is how you turn the tables.

1. Buy bags instead of rolls. I never count them but there are probably extras in ever bag, not to mention a buck or two in dimes, pennies, nickels, foreign coins, etc.

Actually I do mainly bags and am slightly short on a majority of them, the larger the denomination the more I am short, though I do occasionally have larger denom coins mixed in as well which helps to balance it out, but overall....definitely short so buying bags instead will not turn the tables.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread