2008 Last Week Finds & Free Money For The Taking.....

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
2008 Last Week Finds & Free Money For The Taking.....

I went to a lot of banks this past week buying boxes of coins. The one bank I asked if I could buy a box of dimes, nickels, and pennies, and the teller said yes. I handed him $375.00, he counted it and put it in his drawer. He handed me the box of nickels and I told him I was going to take it to my car and come back for the other boxes of coins. I'm female and I can't lift three boxes of coins at one time. When I returned he handed me a box of dimes and pennies and then he put an ADDITIONAL box of nickels on the counter. I looked at him and I said No, you would be short $100.00 if you gave that to me; you already gave me a box of nickels. So I gave it back to him. He looked a little puzzled and then he said I still need to give you a box of dimes. Again I said No, that would make you $250.00 short. You already gave me all of the boxes of coins that I paid for. He still looked a little confused but I said while you have that other box of nickles handy, I'll buy that as well if that's ok with you. So he sold me one more box and I gave him $100.00. I couldn't believe this teller was that lost in the transaction! If I weren't honest he would have been out a lot of money!

The next day I went to another bank and bought $250.00 in hand rolled dimes. I searched the dimes that night and I couldn't believe what I saw. Seven rolls of dimes were all filled with pennies and had one dime placed at the ends of each of the rolls The wrappers even had an account number written on them(fake). The first roll that I opened like that made me mad and I figured I'm out $5.00. >:( But then I opened 6 additional rolls, and I was angry. I thought, I'm going to be out $35.00. All of a sudden I had my first nose bleed of my life. I guess my blood pressure had risen. The anger ceased while I worried about the bleeding and swallowing blood. lol Finally the bleeding stopped. I stayed up that night and drove to the bank early in the morning.. I took the dimes back and asked to speak to a manager. As I started to tell the manager what I found(opened one of the rolls); he said he knew exactly what I was going to say before I showed him what was in the roll. He told me that his bank as well as many of the other branches and other banks in the area had been hit. A man has been scamming and ripping off the banks. He believed me and said it was not a problem at all and replaced the 7 rolls of dimes with clear plastic rolls of dimes. I found 2 silver dimes in those rolls. I was very relieved that the bank was accommodating and understanding.

A bank teller also ordered 2 boxes of halves for me. When I opened the boxes I had found out that both had already been searched and the rolls had been re-crimped. I didn't feel like looking at the halves but I did anyways and found 1-40% silver halve. Then I marked each wrapper with a sad face, so that they would have to been re-rolled. lol

I had also purchased 10 rolls of hand wrapped halves at another bank. One roll contained 16-90% (1964) Kennedy silver halves, 1961 Franklin, and 1-40% silver halve as well as 2 Susan B. Anthony dollars. lol I actually profited a $1.00 there as well as finding an almost solid roll of silver halves. That hasn't happened in a long time.

I searched 3 boxes of dimes, 1 box of pennies, 2 boxes of nickels. My results are:

17 silver Rosies
1(1867-1967 Centennial Canadian silver dime- .500 silver)
1 (1933- Three Pence-silver)

1-1943P War Nickel
A lot of pre-1960 nickels, I didn't count them.

27 Wheats
1930 Canadian Small Cent(I needed that for my book.) :)

I think I had a really great end of crh for 2008! I hope 2009 brings a lot more fun finds for all of us here at TNET.

Attachments

• Halves.jpg
    Halves.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 154
  • Dimes1.jpg
    Dimes1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Dimes2.jpg
    Dimes2.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 148
  • Dimes3.jpg
    Dimes3.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 159
Upvote 0

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Re: 2008 Last Week Finds & Free Money For The Taking.....

Way to go there :thumbsup: nice year end totals. That silver 3 pence is cool. That is also quite the haul on the dimes.

As for the tellers, I can't believe the lack of basic math skills some of the them have, but I suppose it must get tedious counting all the stacks of other peoples money and then throw in the crooks trying to pass off fake coin rolls. I wonder what the police would charge this person. Speaking of tedious, I witnessed one transaction the other day, the teller must have had a full eighteen inch block of one dollar bills she had to count and verify - :tard: -

Well congrats again and watch out for those nosebleeds!

Maine_Jim

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neat finds, as close as I am to canada, i still haven't found a centenial

HH
-GC

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac

Very nice silver finds. I am sorry to head about the nosebleed, but I am glad it was resolved in a goon manner. That super duper half dollar roll must have been awesome! And all those silver dimes is incredible too. You did well, way to go!
Anthony

Silver Sniper

Dec 17, 2008

wow nice canadian! thats insane that people scam banks like that. One time I had a unopened box of uncirculated pennies that they game me so I returned them to me dump bank and they handed me 25.00 w/o hesitation. Made me wonder if someone pulled any scams like that.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great job!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread