1949 D/S nickel error ***UPDATE***

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Hello everyone,

I was looking closely at some possible errors today and think I found a 1949 D/S error. It is hard to get a good picture but comparing what I have to this site I just found (thanks to Gman) it sure does look like it to me. You can see the bottom of the "S" and the top at about the 1 O'clock position of the "D". At least it looks like a "S" poking from underneath to me. What do you think?

***UPDATE*** just got back from the monthly coin show in Albany NY and after showing 7 dealers it has come to the conclusion that it IS a 1949 D/S error. Later this week I will be sending it to PCGS for authentication.
Happy Hunting,
Jason

Also has anyone ever used the microscope that goes to the USB port of the computer. I want to get one just not sure how they work.

Attachments

• 1949D-S.jpg
    1949D-S.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,733
Upvote 0
S

seger98

Re: 1949 D/S nickel error

It's really hard to tell Jason, I understand trying to get a better picture....

I never heard of a microscope that you can hook up to a computer, that would be a neat thing to get!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Since the D's were Minted in Denver & S's in San francisco

I'd say Impossable. for a D/S

DD or other error maybe

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa said:

DD or other error maybe

D over S is listed in the red book as a legitimate error.

FYI: The D over S error is an error that occurred when making the die. The die may have been made some place other than Denver or San Francisco. I personally do not know where they are made.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Shake-N-Bake said:
Also has anyone ever used the microscope that goes to the USB port of the computer. I want to get one just not sure how they work.

You don't need a microscope that hooks up to a computer. Just one that allows a camera to be attached to the eyepiece. The guys on http://www.coppercoins.com seem to use something like that for all their close ups. They focus only on penny errors....and boy oh boy are there a lot of them....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GMan00001 said:
jeff of pa said:

DD or other error maybe

D over S is listed in the red book as a legitimate error.

FYI: The D over S error is an error that occurred when making the die. The die may have been made some place other than Denver or San Francisco. I personally do not know where they are made.

Intresting.

I never thought of that Possability.

THANKS !

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I see it, great job!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Looks like it's definitely possible, but hard to tell without a better pic. If it is, though, great find! You must have awesome eyes to be able to spot that.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi all!

To all who are wondering, this is how it happens.
The die started out in San Fran. Denver needed more dies , so it was sent to Denver. The new mintmark is then put on the die, and the person doing it either didn't try to remove the old mintmark or did a sorry job doing it.

HH

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

there's some kid (i think) on the "coins" forum who has a computer microscope...he has posted dozens of errors...i'll look him up....i think his name is ink spot or something like that....be right back

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

sorry so late in getting back....i was wrong his name is ELVISFAN....go to the "coins" forum(the first one),,,,scroll down to November and you'll see lots of computer pics....unbeleivable closeups

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mistergee said:
sorry so late in getting back....i was wrong his name is ELVISFAN....go to the "coins" forum(the first one),,,,scroll down to November and you'll see lots of computer pics....unbeleivable closeups

I looked at them, in one he says he is using the QX-5 Microscope. I have wanted something like this for a long time, I might just buy one or something similar here before spring. ;D

Here is a link to Amazon where they have it for $150.
http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Entertainment-QX5-ENTERTAINMENT-Microscope/dp/sciencehobbyist/B0002HLKI2

Technical Details

* Simply connect this microscope to any PC and watch as the tiny things are magnified to incredible size -- and displayed on your monitor

* Up to 200X magnification for seeing the tiniest particles and microbes, bigger than life

* Requires USB port

OP
OP
Shake-N-Bake

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Thanks treasurefiend for the info. I am going to order one. I will keep you posted when I get it and how it works.

***UPDATE*** just got back from the monthly coin show in Albany NY and after showing 7 dealers it has come to the conclusion that it IS a 1949 D/S error. Later this week I will be sending it to PCGS for authentication.
Happy Hunting,
Jason

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, congrats!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: