Sidewalk Hunting Guidelines

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A new facet of the board this year, or at least one we haven't discussed much in the past, is the discovery of loose change (or even bills) in plain site on the ground (SCH/sidewalk coin hunting?). It'll be fun to track how much is found in a calendar year. However we should establish some rules as to what is a legit find. In this thread we'll disuss whether or not a found coin can be counted. Examples:

Allowed:

- Coins found on the sidewalk (natch!), streets, floors, etc. Anything on the ground is fair game. The key here is the coin has to be technically lost or discarded.

Not Allowed (this list may grow):

- Coins you personally dropped moments before (gimme a break!)
- "take-a-penny" cups near cash registers (while this could fall under the "discarded" rule, I still think they don't count)
- Coinstar (I don't consider these "lost" because some people are unaware to check the reject slots)

Gray area (need feedback/open for debate):

- Coins found in your car or furniture (seat cushions) at home
- "Behind-the register" coins. Whenever I'm standing in line at the grocery store, the cash register in the next aisle over is almost always closed. About 50% of the time I see a penny or two behind them, which quickly goes into my pocket. Legit find?

If you're unsure about whether your find qualifies, bring it up here and we'll hash it out. No need to post each find here, this is more for rules and debates.

Upvote 0
S

seger98

I think it should be just ground coins that were lost by someone else!

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the idea Immy. Acquiring coins at less than face value....hmmmmm...........I like it!!! It would be very interesting to see what the year end total would be. Keep it going Immy..... :thumbsup: I'm in!!

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
it should be OPM....Other Peoples Money...no coinstar(we have a thread for that)...nothing you lost in the couch or car....no "take a penny"

OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OPM, I like it! Oh, and it obviously doesn't include detector finds either.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hellsbells said:
i think the take a penny give a penny should cont...just 15 mins ago i found a '27 wheat, the only coin in the tray

It would count for the tracking list, but not for this list.....this list is for things found that were lost....a penny in the take a penny tray is not "lost".

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Immy said:
Gray area (need feedback/open for debate):

- Coins found in your car or furniture (seat cushions) at home
- "Behind-the register" coins. Whenever I'm standing in line at the grocery store, the cash register in the next aisle over is almost always closed. About 50% of the time I see a penny or two behind them, which quickly goes into my pocket. Legit find?

I say no to both.

Behind the register coins are also not "lost" or discarded, they were probably put there on purposes at one time.

If this thread is intended to count all the "Free money" found and "behind the register" coins count, then coin machine reject coins should count as well. Either way I say not to in your own furniture.....far too easy for this board to have a pocketful of change and lose some of it...only to find it days later. And I know I lose halves in my car occasionally when "driving and searching"....again I can't see counting anything you lost yourself.

tank014

Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Ace 250, Garret 1250
I think coinstar coins should count. Found a 1912 Wheat the other day underneath the Machine.

phillips24

Aug 28, 2008
Illinois
LJ said:
Acquiring coins at less than face value....hmmmmm...........I like it!!!

I think LJ in her infinite coin wisdom pointed out the key for these guidelines which would make coinstar, take a penny, and behind the register coins count. Anything that you truly "found" and didn't pay face for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread