Oops !

theeteetotaler

Jan 6, 2008
it definitely happens, i regularly find 40%s or dirty 90% coins in other dumps . I once almost dumped a walker because the rim was painted gold and it looked like a crappy clad. oops for sure.

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
In the last couple weeks I have had 4 halves fail the rim check. I always do rim then date. These 4 had a copper like appearance, and completly fooled me. I always check dates now.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have too admit, when I'm like 3/4 of the way through a half box and haven't found any keepers - I sometime wanna start to just edge hunt. Sometimes I do just edge hunt the box if I'm in a hurry though, but for the most part I first check the edges then check the dates and have been surprised a few times by finding silver. :thumbsup:

With that being said though, I will always look at a date if I have the tiniest bit of doubt while edge hunting. :icon_scratch:

When I do dimes I just check the edges, sometimes even that gives me a headache, I couldn't imagine reading all of those tiny dates... :tard:

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I check the rims first, look at any "suspicious" coins by date, then take the whole stack and let the coins fall into a stack into the other hand, letting each one "clink" against the other. Once or twice I have heard the sound of silver when doing this and found a 40%er I missed. But that was early on in my CRHing experience. I don't have the time to check each coin's date, one by one.

Jim

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually edge search dimes and quarters and use the drop test as my backup should I miss anything.....similar with halves, but I usually date search those and try to check for errors as well so don't need the drop test.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread