Finds for the week ~ A few odd coins? An all nickel Half??

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my coin roll finds of the last few days, roughly a week of time. This is my first week of ever hunting half coin rolls. I think I had great luck, maybe beginners luck.
All in all I sifted through about $840.00 rolls and loose Halves, and an unknown amount of loose dimes, maybe around $500.00........ Here's what I found.....

76 ~ 40%ers
1 ~ 90% Franklin
2 ~ 90% Silver dimes
2 ~ S Mint Proofs

And a few odd coins I need help identifying

1) First photo is all the silver finds.... The unstacked coins at the lower half of the picture is what I found just this afternoon in a $500 box.....Makes me feel like an outlaw from the old West with all that silver.

2) Second photo is of the proofs and odd coins. Coin in the center is a great 81' S mint proof with frosted portrait.

The two upper coins are a mystery to me. Left one is a mirror like shiny 1998 D mint coin, the right one is also mirror like from 1974 with no mintmark. What are those two coins? I would think they are proofs but neither has an S mint mark. They look like chrome on the faces of the coins.

The bottom right coin is a 2006 half. Read on here to save those ones cause they were never meant to be circulated.

The bottom left one is a real mystery. It's a 1973 coin, but appears to have no copper what so ever? Is it possible that it is an all nickel error coin? Is there even such a thing as this? It isn't silver, and sounds just slightly different than a regular clad. I've read that people are finding new quarters the same way as this? Anyone know what's up with this coin??

3) Third photo is a side close up of the apparently all nickel - half dollar.

I also found (not pictured) 2 1998 wide AM Lincolns, about ten wheat cents, and another S mint mark clad half which isn't pictured because it was heavily circulated and looking fairly rough.

Attachments

• 7-Day-Silver-Finds.jpg
    7-Day-Silver-Finds.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 230
  • Non-Silver-Finds.jpg
    Non-Silver-Finds.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 256
  • 1973-All-Nickel?.jpg
    1973-All-Nickel?.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 0

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Finds for the week ~ A few odd coins?

Nice finds! congrats on all that silver :thumbsup:

S

seger98

Re: Finds for the week ~ A few odd coins?

Not bad for a weeks take! :thumbsup:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job, congrats!!! :thumbsup:

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I would weigh the coin against a clad coin and a silver coin to see if it matches either one.

Not really sure what you have there... Interesting.

VPR

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has to be plated, I found a few non silver years that look like a solid silver.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
plated???well that would explain it. sure would be a good trick to play on your competition. i would still weigh it. you should be able to pick up a nice pocket scale at a pawn shop

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even quicker, flip the coin in the air and catch it and listen to the sound. Then flip a 40%, 90%, and a clad one and compare the sounds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread