by far my best day

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
During lunch I had a 1 hour search where I stopped at 5 banks, collected 7 rolls and roughly $15 loose. Well I had went through 5 of those rolls (had my initials), so the 2 rolls produced 1 64 and 2 40%s. I was happy with this as this has been my average this week, 1-2 silver coins a day. What came next was a total surprise!!!

On my way home I stopped at a bank that rarely produces anything. I know I had dropped there before, so when they came back and said I have $20 in rolled halves I was like...they are probably mine. They then found a third roll which had my initial on it. So I took the two rolls and they produced 7 x 64 Kennedy's and 8 x 40%s. Giggidy-Giggidy!

Although I found no more silver, I went to my bank where I usually drop rolls off at (I only have banks where I can dump rolled change, nothing loose so it takes me longer to search). The bank attendant asked if I wanted a box of halves...I haven't had much luck with them, but I said...well you talked me into it! I get it next wednesday. Then I went to Fifth Third...I got 10 rolls of halves (pretty sure these were my first ever dumps before I marked them), $60 in Ikes (I have to go back tomorrow because the lady only charged me 30 for these), and $250 in rolled dimes (still have to go through this change). I have been talking to the teller there about collecting and damn she caught on fast. I bring in a silver dime to show her the rim and teach her...and here she teaches me...by whipping out a 54 franklin and asking me if this is good...how much is this worth?? I said...maybe I should be taking lessons....she had asked where she can sell them...Although I don't want to pay a lot, what's a good price to offer her for the silver she finds? I prefer face value and am more in it for the hunt. But what a great day...goes to show you you can have bad luck (wasting a day on a road trip that doesn't pay) or stop at a bank that you don't expect to yield and get just as much... if you want me to post pics request!!!!!!!!!! Happy hunting and good luck.

Upvote 0
S

seger98

Wow, you did have a good day.. I would offer her $5.00 for the Franklin, that's 10 times face. Unless it's in uncirculated condition, then I'd up it a bit more, why not make her happy, she'll remember that everytime you go in there then!

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd NEVER EVER teach a teller, if you educate them you just cut your foot off, bad move IMO

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
Goes4ever said:
I'd NEVER EVER teach a teller, if you educate them you just cut your foot off, bad move IMO

No so true..........I've told a couple tellers what I'm looking for and on more than one occasion I have gone into the bank and she has had an envelope filled with silver halves waiting for me! I pay her face value for the coins and she is happy. In fact she even goes through all of the halves customers bring in (during the slow periods) and saves the silver for me. She says it gives her something to do during the day and she gets pretty excited whenever she finds silver. I learned that she collects Ike dollars so whenever I get Ike dollars I sell them to her. It is a good trade for both of us!

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
8 x face should be a fair offer at today's price, because you are acting as an agent and taking a risk, and providing a service.

The risk is if you pay 8 x face and silver plummets you just got left holding the bag.

There should be a 10 to 20% variance in what you pay and what you can get.

The benefit is maybe she sells you a bunch of silver and you find a rare bird among the flock and score.

Mojo

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking about making a necklace from the merc or rossies I found or getting the tellers some cookies for being so kind to us about searching for silver. Its something I think everyone should do because they are helping us a lot. :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH!! ;D

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
as far as i'm concerned i wouldn't teach them anything because he or she may pull all your finds from under you.....then you have 1 less bank to search

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread