1-20-09 Todays Finds- 1st Franklin of the Year

Bank Runner

Jan 10, 2009
Today we had a snow day, so no school. I hit 8 banks and got $104 in customer rolled and loose halves, and picked up $750 in dimes. Currently I have sorted the halves and $250 of the dimes. Here are today's finds.
-1953d Franklin Half
-1967 Kennedy Half-2
-1968d Kennedy Half
-1952 Roosevelt Dime
-1962 Roosevelt Dime
-1964 Roosevelt Dime

The 62 dime was so black it was hardly recognizable as silver (from edge searching). It was found in one of several rolls of coins that looked like they came out of a caustic environment.

Attachments

• Coin finds 1-20-09.jpg
    Coin finds 1-20-09.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 207
Upvote 0
S

seger98

Congratulations on the Franklin, that's a mighty nice year too! :thumbsup:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice - congrats!!!!! :thumbsup:

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Fantastic BR and nice job on finding the Frank those are alwasy exciting to find.

-Golden Silver

OP
OP
Bank Runner

Bank Runner

Jan 10, 2009
Thanks guys... A 1st happened to me on this bank run. The same teller who had no problem handing me the Franklin placed the 1968d back in her drawer (due to the fact that she felt it was damaged). I told her it was no problem with me if it was damaged, and she handed it over. She was not reluctant to do it. Is this strange? I do know that damaged currency is returned to the Fed, but this coin was not damaged in my opinion. It just seemed strange to me, any ideas?

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Sounds to me like she knew they were silver and only wanted to part with one. But why keep the 40%er??? Good on you for your persistance and walking away with the jingle my friend.

-Golden silver

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She probably thought it was worth thousands, since she probably didn't even know what it was since the coin was older than she was ;D Nice finds, BR

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banks do have an obligation to collect and return to the fed damaged coins and paper currency.

or some times tellers keep coins for themselves.

My first find halve was a teller loose change. I asked for haves and when the teller was handling the coins to me told me, "look this is silver" . I think the teller did not find out until I saw the coin and it was to late for he/her to get it. But this teller really knows.

Darth Walker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread