A good place to coin hunt?

Mooa182

Oct 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am on a US Airbase in Germany and I have been collecting a little change coin hunting with my new ace250. Last night I accidentally tossed my old coins in with the new "pocket change" jar. I immediately forgot that I was going to seperate the coins for tracking and went to go fish them out again. When I was sorting out all of the older dates and coroded coins from the new I realized that there are a LOT of older dated coins. I had less then $10 in quarters dimes and nickels and I pulled this out of the bunch! I didn't even include a lot of 1970's and 80's that where also there!

b2615f0b465c0be66d98e7a374f818026g.jpg

Could it be that since there is U.S. currency overseas and it is not moving (weight of shipping coins) and staying "local" to the area, that the chances of finding some really old coins is better?

Upvote 0

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds reasonable to me. Keep looking!

Bjorn_MD

Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT
I would think that if the same coins were circulating, the collectible stuff would be few and far between. It still happens people at the base may just spend that odd coin they held in a drawer for some time. But it sounds like the circulation patterns would put much more limitations on what could be introduced into the mix at any time.

The late 60's coins are quite common everywhere, I thought? Now certainly the ratio of older/newer may be different in your case.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread