penny box

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
well i finally found a bank that gave up a box without having an account....i deliberately refused to ask any of my banks i have accounts at and would not order boxes......i was deliberately looking for a random bank to walk into and purchase a box....i did this after reading about some of the road trips you guys described where you walk into a bank you haven't been to before and pull out large amounts of coin...anyway that bank turned out to be my dump bank (no account needed) good ole (or new) TB Bank....no account, no questions,no bulls%!$....got a full unopened box of Brinks clear rolls dated 01/13/09.....here's what i got
21 late date wheats.....1944-1959
5 Canadian pennies
i did not count the coppers but the percentage had to be over 50 %
if any of you guys need to know how many were in the box for your research(Gman?) let me know soon i'll hold them one more day and count them if needed
i usually keep all coppers i find in change but the ones i find CRHing i usually turn back as i like to have as much money as possible available for this super addictive hobby of ours ;D
HH everyone

Upvote 0

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've been keeping the coppers out of the last 5 penny boxes.....average 1/3 copper per box.

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm the same way with copper. I'll keep the ones I get in change, but not from boxes. I kept the coppers from a box once, and it was way too much to be a self-sustaining hobby.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Average copper % - 19.6% based on 2.2 million searched in 2008 which also produced 9,256 wheats and 19 indian heads.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mistergee said:
if any of you guys need to know how many were in the box for your research(Gman?) let me know soon i'll hold them one more day and count them if needed

Not interested....thanks though... :)

I don't save copper...would tie up too much cash and take too much extra time to search.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I don't save the copper's either. From what I remember the highest copper penny value for melt was 2 cents for every 1 penny. Not a good enough of an investment for me, not to mention you would need a couple of tons to really make a killing. Back to circulation they go!!!! Besides, now the copper value in each penny is less than 1 cent.

Base Metal Coin Melt Value Calculation
Generated on January 31, 2009.

Values Used:
Total Face Value: $0.50
Coin Type: 1909-1982 Lincoln Copper Cent
Copper Price: $1.4228 / pound
Zinc Price: $0.4817 / pound

Answer:
Total melt value is $0.47.
(exact value is $0.471631273958)

Statistics:
» There are 0.3257 pounds of copper and 0.0171 pounds of zinc in $.50 face value of copper cent(s).

» A roll of copper cent(s) has 50 coins and is valued at $0.47 when copper is at $1.4228 / lb and zinc at $0.4817 / lb (exact value is $0.471631273958).

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
The melt value of pennies was over 2.6 cents per penny for a while. But more importantly, the price of a $50 bag of coppers was consistently about $130 on Ebay for over a month. Then it died down, but if it goes to that in the next two years it will be worth it to me.

If I can double my money in 2 years, I consider that a success of an investment, so why not with these? :-)

As for "ton"s needed to make a profit? You'd be surprised how quickly you can save a ton. LOL. Or "tons".

;-)

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me refraze my last statment - doubeling your money would be good investment. I was meaning that it is easier to get silver and make more of a profit for the money you put into it. :icon_king:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread