GOLD!

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

On Friday, I asked my wife to run some errands for me, one of them picking up boxes of pennies. I asked for 4, and she picked up 6 instead! Good girl :). Took some days, but I searched them and found a few goodies.

Box 1: 6 wheats
Box 2: 4 wheats
Box 3: 13 wheats
Box 4: 14 wheats
Box 5: 6 wheats
Box 6: 22 wheats

Mixed in were a few goodies. I did some error searching as well, and the following showed up:
1951 Canuck
1999 Mexico 20 cents
2 possible 1972 double die
1960d small date

All in all, a bit weak on the wheats, but not a total bust either. Hopefully I can do better on future boxes, but, Ill take what I am given :). Today while dumping nearly $200 in pennies, I filled the machine. When the attendant came to change the bags, I asked if I could have the contents of the reject cup inside the machine. He handed it to me, and I dumped it into a jar lid. Immediately I noticed 3 oddities: 2 half dollars, a good lookin foreign coin, and a ring. Ended up with 2 halves, 2 quarters, 3 or 4 dimes, a few pennies, and 1 Euro. The ring turns out to be 4.2 grams of 14k gold!! Hell yeah baby, easier than metal detecting! I have read of several nice scores from the machines, and I am stoked to make one myself. :) If it were not for you folks, I never would have found this hobby, and subsequently so much silver and this ring. Thank you all for sharing!

Happy Hunting,
Anthony

Attachments

• rejected gold.JPG
    rejected gold.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 493
Upvote 0

cmhoose

May 2, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Lucky for you!

Unlucky for the schmuck who lost it. That looks like a wedding ring. Prolly someone sleeping in the dog house tonight.

At least there wasn't a finger in it. I am one of those idiots that always goes "fishin" down in the machine for things I see down in there. I always think that the machine will kick on and lop off a couple digits.

Nice find!

cmhoose

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
cmhoose said:
Lucky for you!

Unlucky for the schmuck who lost it. That looks like a wedding ring. Prolly someone sleeping in the dog house tonight.

At least there wasn't a finger in it. I am one of those idiots that always goes "fishin" down in the machine for things I see down in there. I always think that the machine will kick on and lop off a couple digits.

Nice find!

cmhoose

It is a wedding band indeed, as there is a name inscribed. I have placed an ad on Craig's to see if someone can identify it. Plan to return to the bank and ask if anyone reported a lost ring. If I can, Ill return it, as it is priceless to someone, and only $71 in metal content to me. If I can't find it, it will not be the first wedding band I have condemned to be smelted.

And on the note of body parts in there too - I did find someones tooth! Maybe he got ahead of himself and put it in his little coin jar instead of under his pillow. It was a tiny front tooth, must have been a child's. Creepy, gross, and awesome to find all at the same time. :)

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
That is an awesome find. The ring is probably not from a currently married person. I dont see how it could just fall off into the machine. Probably got thrown into the coin jar and forgotten about before being brought into the bank. The machines I use dont have trash bins. They just reject what they dont take. The bank people told me there is a magnet to catch stuff too. The couple of times I asked them to check it there was never anything attached. I guess any coin that sticks to the magnet will not be gold or silver anyway.

Jim

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
jim4silver said:
That is an awesome find. The ring is probably not from a currently married person. I dont see how it could just fall off into the machine. Probably got thrown into the coin jar and forgotten about before being brought into the bank. The machines I use dont have trash bins. They just reject what they dont take. The bank people told me there is a magnet to catch stuff too. The couple of times I asked them to check it there was never anything attached. I guess any coin that sticks to the magnet will not be gold or silver anyway.

Jim

I take it you dont have a loose wedding band. I do, and can understand it. My ring has been through a wood chipper, dropped in wet leaves in the rain at night, and been down a storm drain. All this in my first year of marriage too. I can picture shovelling coins in, and having them pull a loose ring off. As for the cup holding magnet finds, I doubt it. I pulled an earplug and a tooth out as well. Definatly not magnetic!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL - Luck was on your side!!!! :icon_pirat:

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
That is awesome Anthony. It is not every day that you find gold doing this hobbie. I too have found a ring at the coin machine. Good Deal.

-Golden Silver

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Narthoniel said:
jim4silver said:

Jim

I take it you dont have a loose wedding band. I do, and can understand it. My ring has been through a wood chipper, dropped in wet leaves in the rain at night, and been down a storm drain. All this in my first year of marriage too. I can picture shovelling coins in, and having them pull a loose ring off. As for the cup holding magnet finds, I doubt it. I pulled an earplug and a tooth out as well. Definatly not magnetic!

Anthony,

Actually I have never been married so I don't have a wedding band. I saw too much in divorce court to want to go that route. However, now that I am a bit older I may decide to settle down with my current GF. She is a bit younger than me and I always said I was going to have my second wife as my first. ;D

Gotta find a way to keep the PMs as separate property if we get hitched, in case things go south. LOL!

Jim

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
jim4silver said:
Narthoniel said:
jim4silver said:

Jim

Anthony,

Actually I have never been married so I don't have a wedding band. I saw too much in divorce court to want to go that route. However, now that I am a bit older I may decide to settle down with my current GF. She is a bit younger than me and I always said I was going to have my second wife as my first. ;D

Gotta find a way to keep the PMs as separate property if we get hitched, in case things go south. LOL!

Jim
Jim, if you ever seperated, just let her keep the 40% 'ers LOL! FFD

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd bet someone who dumped in the machine had it slip off....who here is in the doghouse? I'm sure the bank will be asked if anyone found it.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Fistfulladirt said:
jim4silver said:
Narthoniel said:
jim4silver said:

Jim

Anthony,

Jim
Jim, if you ever seperated, just let her keep the 40% 'ers LOL! FFD

In my state anything owned prior to marriage that is kept separate in a proper way is not considered marital property and cannot be claimed by the spouse in a divorce. Any coins I would score after marriage could be considered marital. Good idea on keeping the 90s and give her the 40s. LOL!

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread