One 2009 Goal Accomplished - Wild Buffalo

Bank Runner

Jan 10, 2009
I have started searching nickels and pennies this year to break up the monotony of my half and dime silver searches. With the pennies and nickels I can always get Wheaties of some pre-1960 nickels for my book. Last night I was extremely happy to meet one of my goals this year of finding a Wild Buffalo. I am not sure what the percentages you guys are having on nickels. I am on my 5th box, and have searched about $450 in nickels prior to finding this Buffalo. I would like to know what you guys are averaging (War Nickels / Buffaloes / V Nickels). Thanks for looking.

HH,
Karl

Attachments

• Coin finds 1-30-09 001.jpg
    Coin finds 1-30-09 001.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 239
Upvote 0

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find, I have yet to find a buffalo........

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My goal is 3 buffs and 1 v nickel for this year.

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Great buff! When you see one of them roll out, the feeling is awesome.

I average one buffalo every 7 or so boxes. I've yet to find a V-nick, but I get roughly 3 war nicks per box.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overall, I average a Buffalo every 49 rolls (almost one per box). However, the catch is I found 18 in one box which severely distorts that number.

-Codes

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
congrats on the buffalo
I normally find like 1 silver wartime per box. The buffalos for me are about one in every 3-4 boxes. Ive gotten like 42 silver wartimes and 23 buffalos in this past yr. Just got my one and only V nickels two days ago, although i believe there odds are way high as i believe im just really lucky to get one

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the wild Buffalo, and it has a date too - congrats!!!!! Last year I found 4 Buffalo's (only 1 had a date, 1917 I think) and 8 war nickels out of 15 boxes.

OP
OP
Bank Runner

Bank Runner

Jan 10, 2009
A big "Thank you" to everyone for information on your nickel percentages. It helps me to gauge if my finds are in-line with the national average so to speak.

TF my finds are along the lines of yours in war nickel production.

Ugotit22 you seem to be the man when it comes to nickels. I saw the V nickel find while at work this week. I was very happy for you.

Codes a nice cache on the Wild Buffaloes in the one box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread