Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
S

seger98

Re: You can't do what, why not !!??

Do you have an account at the bank you are talking about? If not I guess they can turn you down, but even still with an account, I'm starting to think if it costs them money to order you coins and or, it costs them money to send them in to get rerolled again. In todays economy, I think you'll start seeing it more & more! Or they will start charging fees.

Chris

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Hey,

So can a bank really turn you down from buying or selling rolls to or from them? ??? I don't think they can, I mean its what they are in business for.... To exchange money, I mean that's what they do... :icon_scratch:

Keep @ it and HH!!

???
I hope you are kidding.
Exchanging money is not what they are in business for.
The idea of any business is to make a profit.
Economics 101.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT

TXTim said:
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Hey,

So can a bank really turn you down from buying or selling rolls to or from them? ??? I don't think they can, I mean its what they are in business for.... To exchange money, I mean that's what they do... :icon_scratch:

Keep @ it and HH!!

???
I hope you are kidding.
Economics 101.

My thoughts exactly. Not sure where some of you folks on here get your information.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TXTim said:
???
I hope you are kidding.
Economics 101.

:thumbsup: We like to think they are there just to serve us so far as money goes but they are in business.

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TXTim said:
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Hey,

Keep @ it and HH!!

???
I hope you are kidding.
Economics 101.

???
You have to be kidding me.... Wow, they are almost in the business of exchanging money. Some things they can charge for and make a profit other things they are just expected to do. Like Burger King is expected to give you Ketchup with your fries. Banks are expected to exchange currency. Anyone from anywhere in the world should be able to come to American and exchange their Currency for American. Account or not... So Change is no different. You should be allowed to go into any bank and exchange Change for Cash. It is part of being a bank...

So in a way you are right they are not in business to exchange money but they are expected to. My question is are they expected to by law?? I'm not looking for guesses or creative insight I'm looking for the real laws on this.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Keep @ it and HH!!

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

While banks are subject to numerous Federal regulations they are still a business. The Federal Reserve is the only body that must accept all types of legal tender. The banks we use are private businesses, not the Federal Reserve and as such are under no obligation to accept anything, in fact, if they would only accept two dollar bills there is no Federal statute that states they must do otherwise, though I don't think they would be in business very long. Banks, businesses and individuals are free to have their own policies regarding what they will accept as payment. It may sound silly but bringing two half dollars to a bank and asking for a dollar bill is akin to bringing two half gallons of milk to the market and asking to exchange them for a gallon.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TXTIM is Right.

Our mission is to make money to Investors.

It cost us money to ask for 20 box of halves. Now if you pay the fee no problem

I work at a Bank. We are not obligated by law to take excessive coins if it does not fit your business or the purpose of the account.

Just like any other private business we reserve the right.

Darth Walker

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Old Folks Knowledge

Just like the other guy said. I think that if they want to be successful, they ought to do stuff like giving me a damn 25 dollar box of pennies.
If they don't want to do that, then screw 'em. When I worked as a bag boy, there were rude customers that came in and were mean just for the sake of being mean. I didn't put up with this. I'm not mean, rude, and generally ornery, and I don't expect people to be that way to me. Now if someone needed help with something that I wasn't exactly expected to do, I would go above and beyond duty and help them find what they were looking for or whatever, even if it meant putting up with a rude customer. I give that little extra bit to everybody, and I'm not just plain out rude and disagreeable to anybody, unless there is a darn good reason.
Most people aren't like that from my experience. I think that most people expect every other person in the world to be mean, so they go ahead and start acting mean ahead of time to get ready for it, because that is what they are use to. I have come to the realization that most people are going to be rude mean and ornery, no matter what I try to do about it, but I'm trying to hold on. I dred the day when this world finally beats me and I'm the guy behind the counter being mean just for the sake of being mean.
"Now I'm thinkin': it could mean you're the evil man. And I'm the righteous man. And Mr. 9mm here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness. Or it could be you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish. I'd like that. But that sh*t ain't the truth. The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd."
just venting :coffee2:

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Old Folks Knowledge

I know. I love that movie. I just bought a Samuel L. Jackson autograph. I'm working on all of the main characters.
So far I have Samuel L.
Tim Roth
and a questionable John Travolta

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X

If you do not get the service you are looking for, take your business elsewhere.

BTW, the bank is not obligated by law to take your currency in any form. As stated above, only the Treasury/Federal Reserve is. Deal with a bank you have an account with. Customers are hard to come by right now.
Dan

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

I am with you MUD. Banks are in it to win it (for profit) and to turn customers away is bad business especially in todays economy. It could be that they are not worried because the gov. with bale their A$$·$ out anyway. Just kick the dust of that bank off your shoes and move to the next.

Golden Silver

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro

I normally dump at Bank of America's because ive found there good with not give me any crap. However there was this one time i was dumping like twenty rolls of halves and the teller said she cant take them. I said why and she said we cant take "Alot" of coins at one time. I said ok whats considered alot. Could not give me an answer. I got pissed and talked to the manager she said something along the same lines. This branch is in the getto area, and I never normally dump there so its not like i was in there every day with coin. I got so pissed i called BOA corporate number. The rep. said she has never heard of such a rule in there banks and that she was sorry for the inconvience. She came back to the line after calling that branch and her tune completely changed. She said that different branches have different rules and regulations. I then asked her what was considered "alot" and she still could not give me any answer.
What it all boiled down to was that the tellers in that branch where stupid lazy and the manager was even lazier.

wolfmann

Dec 30, 2006

Hello All. I had to answer to this question. I figure I am a customer to all banks. As I am a taxpayer and if they took money in the bailout package. They should all bend over backwards for each and everyone of us.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

i think that bailout money should have changed the rules alittle ...after all it was our money....they didn't ask if we have an account when they took it

gotgot

Dec 29, 2008

DigginThePast said:
While banks are subject to numerous Federal regulations they are still a business. The Federal Reserve is the only body that must accept all types of legal tender. The banks we use are private businesses, not the Federal Reserve and as such are under no obligation to accept anything, in fact, if they would only accept two dollar bills there is no Federal statute that states they must do otherwise, though I don't think they would be in business very long. Banks, businesses and individuals are free to have their own policies regarding what they will accept as payment. It may sound silly but bringing two half dollars to a bank and asking for a dollar bill is akin to bringing two half gallons of milk to the market and asking to exchange them for a gallon.

Can you go to the Fed with halves and change them for money? I mean, private citizens don't have accounts there...by my shaky logic that means no bank has to accept currency at all with the exception of the Fed, which an individual cant have an account at...does that mean legally, no bank has to accept money? Just some thoughts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread