Evidence brinks is culling silver halves

bluesalt

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2009
http://www.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/local/article/brinks_ups_the_ante_to_50k_for_tips_in_burglary/12544/

In this article about a break in at Brinks, they mention that "silver 50 cent pieces were taken". To me, this could either mean that Brinks has been sorting out silver halves and storing them, or that the author was simply differentiating the "silver" half dollars from the "gold" dollar coins.

What do you think?

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're not in the business to cull silver. They don't have 2 guys in the back room doing this. Their business is big because they sell the banks what they order. The money they make, it's not worth their time. I guarantee you they have to sign paperwork stating they won't pull any coin to keep personally, probably not even allowed to have money in their pocket to start with.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
They do not cull the silver. Are main worry are the large silver investors that purchase large quantities of silver coin to melt it down for sale and profit. This happened on a large scale in the late 70´s and 80´s and can happen again. That puts the largest hurt on silver finds.

Golden Silver

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet the only time a human even touches the coins is when the employees off load the truck. Even then, they probably have a conveyor belt that extends into the back of the armored truck just to speed the process up. Don't kid yourselves people, this is a huge automated business, high speed machines do all the work 100's of times faster than any crew of people could ever do. Do you really think that all of the coins get dumped out on a table and some smucks stand around and cherry pick?

I also seem to remember some Brinks drivers got fired for opening the boxes and replacing the silver with clad.

I also remember hearing of just 1 company that that was their only objective (getting silver), I think it was out in CA but a small company. But from what I remember they quit, it wasn't worth it when you have to cover business expences (wages, building, securtiy, ect...) Anybody remember hearing about that?

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I think the time it gets grabbed is before they pick up the bags at the bank.

I actually heard a conversation the other day to confirm this. I was in a new bank and heard someone complaining about a coin being in the bag from out in the back. "That coin is silver and worth $35 and there is another one and another one, why did you seal it!". I thought it was an employee but then out walks a Brinks driver who was doing the pick-up of their change sorter bags.

I did buy three rolls of halves from them that day which had a few 40%s so they obviously didn't search the bags or rolls that day but this driver was schooling them on it. It wouldn't take long for a driver to get all the banks on his run to be willing partners but once they seal up one of those bags I think it is heading into the system. The problem the driver has is that they can't carry around any quantity of coins or they will chance getting busted by Brinks and fired. Once the bank employees get hip to the silver then they may find themselves being fired for tampering with one of those bags so they are back to buying them when they come into their tills. It is probably a little easier for the smaller banks to bend the rules but not at the ones with a lot of employees hanging around.

I also have had some good luck with Brinks bags. My best from them was 35 coins.

Maine_Jim

Troy Ounce

Jan 16, 2009
Southeast
Detector(s) used
Whites6000 ProXL
I have had great boxes from brinks so far. Over a 100 keepers just once. My average is close to 23.
I hear that brinks has very tight security and watches very close and plays no games. On the other
hand Loomis is loose, change laying everywhere being walked on and over and never or rarely gets
picked up.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
NO Do not think Brinks is culling Silver from Halves as about 7 weeks ago in one Box of Brinks Rolled Halves found 264 Silver, 256 of them were %40'ers couple of liberty's & a Franklin.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
wow obedia what state do you live in? i am currently on a streak of skunk boxes from brinks. 11 in a row

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had almost 3 months of bad boxes from brinks now.........they seem to be getting worse by the week

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the Coinstar machine in my store the other day I didn't find any halves but I did find two WW2 steal pennies in the reject slot,it pays to look at it. ::)

da1984

Apr 3, 2009
IMPORTANT INFO: My teller called Brinks today to inquire about their "recirculation" process. She was told that they are now selling halves to a 3rd party PRIOR to rolling them specifically for the purpose of pulling the silver. May be game over for me, as they are the only game in town. (St. Louis Area).

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
Hmmmm??? Can anyone show any time of article or news release that shows evidence? No offense DA1984, I was just wondering if anyone had seen anything published about this.

da1984

Apr 3, 2009
I was standing there when she called. Why would they issue a news release?

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Because nothing is secret any longer. Hell this week AOL and Yahoo broadcast CRH'ing to the entire world!! With how to instructions, so I was just wondering if anyone can back up your claim.

da1984

Apr 3, 2009
I'm still not sure I get it either, since just 4 weeks ago I bought a Brinks box from the bank that had 72 silvers in it, but my last 5 have all been skunks, and 7 out of the last 10.

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
I've been moving at about the same pace. One brinks box produced close to 20 silvers, then 6 skunks in a row. I am not saying that its impossible for them to outsorce, just seems a little farfetched.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
da1984 said:
IMPORTANT INFO: My teller called Brinks today to inquire about their "recirculation" process. She was told that they are now selling halves to a 3rd party PRIOR to rolling them specifically for the purpose of pulling the silver. May be game over for me, as they are the only game in town. (St. Louis Area).

This is freakin' ridiculous! I could maybe see Brinks buying super duper machines that spit out silver, but what company is going to buy halves from Brinks to sort through them and then send them back? That would be like CRHers buying every box they search. If there are lots of CRHers dumping, this 3rd party company is getting as many skunks as everyone else. Sounds like your teller is trying to have less CRHers in that location in my opinion.

Brinks makes plenty of money doing what they do. No way they are gonna waste time hauling a bunch of halves to some 3rd party company and then pick them up again.

Just my 2 cents.

PS I get some of my boxes from St. Louis, and I found silver in Brinks boxes just last week (not much but enough to show nobody is culling).

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions