What do you all do with all your coin accumulation

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a question for all.

From wikipedia
There are three main types of coin roll hunters; the composition hunter, the variety hunter, and the set hunter. Composition hunters hunt for precious metals (usually silver, sometimes copper). Variety hunters search for mint errors. Set hunters attempt to complete sets of a specific type of coin.

Many of you that find a lot of silver do you just accumulate it all or do you all sale it at some point of time?

DW

Upvote 0

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darth Walker said:
Just a question for all.

From wikipedia
There are three main types of coin roll hunters; the composition hunter, the variety hunter, and the set hunter. Composition hunters hunt for precious metals (usually silver, sometimes copper). Variety hunters search for mint errors. Set hunters attempt to complete sets of a specific type of coin.

Many of you that find a lot of silver do you just accumulate it all or do you all sale it at some point of time?

DW

hmm... I think I am all three......though mainly a set hunter

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
I used to make things with mine before I got too busy. HH Mark
DSCN1091_edited.jpg

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I throw the clad in a coffee can and cash it in at the coin star when it gets full. I keep the silver and wheat pennies though. Other than being old, what good are wheat pennies? I have a ton of them and have been thinking about just cashing them in too. No key dates. Monty

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Trouble with silver is, it takes ALOT of weight in coin to build any value. So much for the safe deposit box at the bank...
I know there are some large stashes out there, thinking about a backyard bury.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Stripe said:
DSCN1091_edited.jpg
how did you do that? looks like it took some thought and time!

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
I'd say I'm all three though, although when starting it was primarily for precious metals. Now I'm putting together sets and instead of waiting around to get a loupe I just bought a magnifying glass and caught to Kennedy DDRs.

I'd sell if silver got high enough but I do not have a set price in mind for these coins yet...so I guess it's just collection phase.

cmhoose

May 2, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett
I would have to say that I am all three as well. I think that most collectors reach a point where you feel like it is just a hoard. Over the past year or so, I have began to unload some silver. I like to sell and take a percentage of the profit to buy coins I need for my sets. Now we just need silver to go back up!

HH
cmhoose

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would call myself a hoarder. I try to get my hands on as many older coins - not just silver - for face value. I don't care about condition or certain sets, I just care about the number of coins I have.

-Codes

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the above. I think most of us do all 3. :icon_pale:

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, all three. I started out just going for silver, but then I started doing nickels and picked up the folders for them. Now I'm trying to complete that set while still getting as much silver as I can =D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess everyone has noticed the shabby appearance of dug zinc pennies now days. Sometimes I either stop digging them or throw them away. Our banks won't exchange them and it's too much a hassle to send them off somewhere to the feds. (That's what the banks tell me). No wonder banks are failing. There is no such thing as customer service any more. I tried to get change for a twenty one day and dropped by a local bank wher I use to keep my Little League account. I nearly got thrown out just for asking for change! Some even have a fee for teller service! Monty

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Goes4ever said:
Silver Stripe said:
DSCN1091_edited.jpg
how did you do that? looks like it took some thought and time!
That is known as a triple span bridge- yea I used to have too much time on my hands. There's a website somewhere about these built with pennies, halves are harder- poker chips are the easiest. I lost the bookmark when puter crashed last time. HH Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread