How to handle the rude teller

how u do n

Dec 21, 2008
in my own little world :)
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Minlab E-Trac Garrett Pinpointer
Yesterday while on a little road trip
I went into a bank that had 2 tellers.
I walk up to the young guy and ask if they have any half dollars.
He starts to say I don't know but, before he can get it out the young teller next to him
says as rude as she can DO YOU HAVE AN ACCOUNT.
I know what is coming next and say no.
Now again,as rude as she can she says YOU CAN NOT BUY ANY IT'S FOR CUSTOMERS ONLY!!!
The male teller now looks shocked and embarrassed and says I'm sorry.
I tell him thank you and no problem.
This is now where the fun starts for me :P
I walk right over to her window and say " you could not have handled that any worse"
She now acts like she did nothing wrong.
I tell her that she was as rude as she could have been and I ask for her name
She says she did nothing wrong only asked if I had an account.
I again tell her she could not have been more rude if she tried and again ask for her name.
She is scared now and tells me she will not give me her name. ( all this time the male teller is not saying a word)
I tell her that she will give me her name for I am going to complain to corporate about her.
Again she says she did nothing wrong and finally tells me her name.
I say thank you and turn to walk out only to see her manager standing there waiting for everything to end.
The manager smiles at me and she says good morning may I help you.
I smile and say yes please.
As we start into her office she looks at me and asks if she should close the door.
I say no I never yell.
I tell her what happened for she caught the end of what happened and is "not happy"
I told her I'm looking for coins it's a sick hobby but it's fun. I tell her I have 12 accounts now and I only come through here once in a while. I made sure to tell her that it was not the diea I was not able to get the coin but how rude the teller was.
I tell her when a bank says no I tell them thank you and move on.
She tells me it is the banks policy but anytime I want coin I can have any coin the tellers have anytime I want.
As I get into my truck to drive away I see the manager close her office door through the window as the rude tellers walks into her office.
See, never get mad.
Make your point as nice as possible and then let them do the rest.
Good luck all
HH
Dan

Upvote 0

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Well done.
You didn't burn her - you taught her a valuable life lesson.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Bluefin, I am sitting here like a loon clapping right now. How sweet that must have been. I just got dealing with some lieing tellers that were pretty rude on the phone. First they said they could order me halves no problem and then called and said they could not because it is not a normal shipment. I proceeded to remind them that I am a member of the bank and have ordered from a different branch in another town with no problem. She says, that she could not and for me to go to my hometown branch. She kept on repeating that too...Why don´t you go through your hometown branch. Finally I said that I could not believe that they treat bank customers like this and that I would be closing my account and going to the competition. They said sorry we can´t help you. Next time I will get names and call corporate. Pisses me off.

Golden Silver

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
The firm but polite way is ALWAYS the way to go. In today's world too many get upset too fast and say stupid things (Or give stupid gestures).

You did good!

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
WTG....you handled that well....i had the same thing happen to me...the teller i was at had previously on a few occasions gave me whatever i wanted even though i had no account...he was just about to hand them to me when the business teller butts in from all the way on the other side of the bank.she yells over "make sure he has an account , he can't have anything if he is not a customer, and she said it very rudely...now my teller is embarrased as his face is very red. i wasn't that concerned about it as i had been turned down before and like you i always say" ok thank you, have a nice day" but this time because he neglected to check if i had an account, the business teller embarrased him in front of other customers and co-workers by correcting him. i thanked him anyway and walked over to her window.there was another customer she was waiting on and i stood in line. i could tell already she was starting to squirm....when i got to the window her tone was a little nicer..."how can i help you?"....i said "i feel that what you said and how you said it was uncalled for. you could have very easily walked over and told the other teller i needed an account and i would have said good day and left. instead you chose to yell it out in front of everyone which embarrased my teller and made a simple transaction into a spectacle.not to mention now everyone here knows my business. so much for privacy in conducting business". she say's "i was not rude...bank policy...if you have no account , you are not a customer and therefore we cannot give you coins." i said "yelling out my business in front of everyone and your tone of voice was most certainly rude, and i beg to differ but isn't that your mac machine out front?" now she looks confused and says "yes it is"..i say.. "and do you charge a fee to people without an account to withdraw money from your machine?". she says"yes we do"...so i said "well i just used my card out front and you charged me for it,and i have used your machines many times in the past, therefore we conducted a business transaction, technically doesn't that make me a customer?" now she is a little confused and doesn't know how to answer,but says "i'm sorry sir, but i can't give you coins without an account" i said "had you said that just as you did now over at that tellers window we wouldn't be having this conversation right now,and you can be sure i'm going to speak to someone about it." as i was leaving i walked past the teller who waited on me and said " thank you very much anyway, its not your fault" he leans forward and says real low "come back tomorrow when that B!%@# is off , i'll give you all you want. she is always rude and always embarrases us. she does that because she doesn't know what she's doing, as if putting us down is going to make her smarter. the only reason she has this job is she's the managers GF. complain to corporate, not him"
i did,and though i have only been to the bank a few times since, i haven't had any problems getting whatever i want whether she's there or not. she won't even look at me.
BTW...the last time i was there with the nice teller he asks me if i wanted to open an account...he said they are having an account drive and he gets a commision for every new account he opens. i gladly opened an account with him.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
See, that's what a person with normal blood pressure would have done. Me, on the other hand, having hypertension, and not taking anything for it... would have blown a gasket.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
done dug it all up said:
I like to carry a large whole fish in a grocery bag and if the teller misbehaves I whip out my fish and slap em with it.

ROFL!! :tard:

Carp?, Salmon?, Bass?
How long is one fish good for?

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i think the next time i am asked do i have an account i am going to say no but i will open one, then after i open it i will buy the halves, take them to the car and then go back in and close the account out. i know it will take some time but i am tired of some of these banks >:(

Bank Runner

Jan 10, 2009
I think you handled the situation very well. I never blame banks for saving coin for their customers. That actually might give me a reason to be one of their customers. Think about it. It would limit the number of CRHers at that bank.

I am right there with you on the subject of rude tellers. I do not tolerate it. Way to hold your temper at bay, and handle the situation.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

*ahem*

You handled that well.

Hope that rude idiot got a good lecture by her manager.
;D

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha you handled that situation very well. I'm taking notes. :thumbsup:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Identical situation for me only I wanted some change for a 20. The manager came over and told me that I had to leave or she would call the police. I never got loud or rude either and I had been opening my little league account there every summer. I probably should have taken it further but just didn't want the hassle. I was amazed to say the least. I'm glad to hear you fared well. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread