Information on coin counters

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
Does anyone have any information on coin counters or where I can find some? I am asking because I cashed in some halves yesterday and the machine jamed. Ofcorse the lady gets all upset and goes on and on about how they might not be able to accept halves anymore because its to hard on the machine. I kinda just left it at that for now so that I can get my story straight first. but when they pulled the machine apart there was tons of crap in there.... black dust, string, and hair. The amount of stuff that they flinged out of that thing it looked like they never cleaned it. But ofcorse be it true or not I am the guy that shows up with the big bags of halves and it broke while my coin was getting counted so its my fault according to them. Anyway.... I want to know if there is any literature on coin counters....they are made to count coins so I dont know why it would make any diffrence it it was a dime or half. As a matter of fact I be the average joe who brings in his mason jar full of coins from his pocket are alot more damaging then my clean halves.

BTW... it was actually $500 in halves and $100 in nickles.

Upvote 0

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
been told the same thing about halves by one of my dump banks, seems like they could get a machine that could take em

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigtime400 said:
when they pulled the machine apart there was tons of crap in there.... black dust, string, and hair. The amount of stuff that they flinged out of that thing it looked like they never cleaned it.
Yep, that is what happens.

I have a fair sized coin counter/sorter and I regularly clean and lube. Twice I have taken it apart and given it a good cleaning. You get crud buildup anywhere a coin rolls or slides and crud slows things down. After I lube with a spray can of silicone the speed almost doubles and no jams.

cmhoose

May 2, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Yep, happened to me too. It took two tellers and about 30 min to clear it out by hand. They were cool about it though. One of the tellers said they just need to run them slower. So now whenever I go into that dump bank, I remind the newer tellers to run them slow. Try running them real slow into the hopper. Will take a little longer to dump, but well worth it.

cmhoose

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
Location of coin machines...I was actually wondering about locations for coin machines today as they seem scarce around here, and googling I found this website. Not sure if it's useful for anyone, but it lists coin machines at different branches. None are near me but hopefully it helps someone!

http://www.theunderstory.com/index.htm

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Old Folks Knowledge
I was just gonna say google it.
The truth is out there.
Trust no one.
Alright,
later,

Seagates

Feb 7, 2009
dandow20 said:
Location of coin machines...I was actually wondering about locations for coin machines today as they seem scarce around here, and googling I found this website. Not sure if it's useful for anyone, but it lists coin machines at different branches. None are near me but hopefully it helps someone!

http://www.theunderstory.com/index.htm

Yeah I found that site by google a few weeks ago and was about to accept it as truth except I noticed it was last updated in 2002 :/ so it might by loosely correct - as I'm sure some of them banks wised up and got rid of their counters.... :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread