Anybody here melt the coins?

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
my understanding is it is an expensive process and wouldn't be worth it unless you have lots and lots of silver to melt....JewelerDave can give you more info

packfan_1982

Jun 22, 2008
Omaha NE
Detector(s) used
F70 / ACE 250
You also have a known quantity of silver when it is in coin form. Unless you are certified to stamp that brick 999 fine there isn't a good way to prove how much silver you have.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Realistically speaking though, you have an approximate amount with the coin count. The amount stated in the books is for uncirculated specimens, it does not take into account wear. For a few coins, it is not a big deal. A couple of thousand though, and it could make a difference. I have better than 2000 40%, and a few of those are pretty worn and a couple also have holes, so those could also make a small difference.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Darth Walker said:
Has any body here melted the silver halves?

DA

I don't think many people here have the equipment to smelt coins themselves. I believe that a few people have sold their coins directly to a smelter/refiner and a few more people have sold their coins to a dealer who then sold them to a refiner. If you care to expand on your question you might get a better answer.

HH,
65GT350

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure for the fun of it. ;D

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Darth Walker said:

DA

Would not be a smart move financially. First, dealers are selling junk silver for premiums that go way over spot right now. They are not sending these coins to a smelter where they get less than spot. I think it will be this way for a long time with the current silver market.

If a person wants to melt the coins on their own they are taking a well-recognized and popular, high in demand item and creating a silver product of unknown or possibly questionable purity and weight (unless done by a refiner with a recognizable hallmark). Even if the product is made correctly as far as weight and purity, how many silver investors are gonna jump at the chance to buy what you made? Some day you may want to sell it or need the money.

Jim

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
jim4silver said:
Darth Walker said:

DA

Would not be a smart move financially. First, dealers are selling junk silver for premiums that go way over spot right now. They are not sending these coins to a smelter where they get less than spot. I think it will be this way for a long time with the current silver market.

If a person wants to melt the coins on their own they are taking a well-recognized and popular, high in demand item and creating a silver product of unknown or possibly questionable purity and weight (unless done by a refiner with a recognizable hallmark). Even if the product is made correctly as far as weight and purity, how many silver investors are gonna jump at the chance to buy what you made? Some day you may want to sell it or need the money.

Jim
Yeah, in other words, melt 'em on your own and turn something with some value into something virtually worthless!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a sin and should not be done...

Don't ever melt your coins or send them to be melted.

Bad, bad, bad...

Keep @ it and HH!!

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I dont think it would be profitable unless you had connections like Jeweler dave. I think he gets a great deal on smelting and then ofcourse turns the silver into jewelry which can sell at a good premium over spot. I hate to see old coins get melted. I would like the history to always be around ya know.

Golden Silver

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hit80s said:
I have made double sided coin rings
Not to hi-jack this thread but IT would be cool to see some pictures!! Perhaps start a new thread with how you went about it pure trial and error or had a method?
thx

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread