anyone try grading from PCGS?

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
has anyone here tried sending a coin to PCGS for grading? i want to send a few of my Bens i found to be graded....i'm pretty sure they would grade in the high 60's or i wouldn't bother sending a Ben. at MS65 they are $50.00 and at MS65 they are $950.00...so i would say its worth sending a few in to see. only i can't figure out what its going to cost or which is the right service to pick. they give many prices for many different types of service. basically i'm very confused and could use some advice from someone with experience. they also have a drop off deal to certain dealers...which i'm very leary of considering my past experiences with these people(coin dealers). any help would be appreciated

Upvote 0

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mistergee said:
has anyone here tried sending a coin to PCGS for grading? i want to send a few of my Bens i found to be graded....i'm pretty sure they would grade in the high 60's or i wouldn't bother sending a Ben. at MS65 they are $50.00 and at MS65 they are $950.00...so i would say its worth sending a few in to see. only i can't figure out what its going to cost or which is the right service to pick. they give many prices for many different types of service. basically i'm very confused and could use some advice from someone with experience. they also have a drop off deal to certain dealers...which i'm very leary of considering my past experiences with these people(coin dealers). any help would be appreciated

I haven't sent in anything yet but I seem to remember it will cost $30 or $35 for grading. You have to be a member if you want to submit coins yourself so the easy way is to see if your local coinshop is a member and how much they charge for doing it. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
PCGS graded coins have a great reputation. NGC is good too. But I would really make sure your halves are MS 65 or more, or a really rare year before spending the money to have them graded. If you have an experienced coin dealer you trust you could ask them to take a look.

If you found them CRHing there is a chance they are just really great AU coins, or a lower MS grade. The graders are very picky as to what they give MS65 and higher.

Even if you bought a roll of BU coins it would be hard to get an MS65 out of it unless it was an original mint roll.

Good luck either way.

Jim

OP
OP
mistergee

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
thanks TF i heard that too about the price but when i looked at thier prices they have a ton of different services with different prices. i'm also skeptical about adding a 3rd party (coin dealer) to the deal as it seems to me that it would just raise the odds that something may happen to the coin,maybe dissapear altogether or get lost or forgotten etc.

OP
OP
mistergee

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Jim thanks for the reply.....these Bens were found by me in thier original rolls....16 to be exact. i opened 4 of them and all are 1963...these coins are in superb shape...the best of which is almost FBL except for a small smudge to the left of the clapper....that is the only mark on this coin. i have several in that condition and the worst i have has some bag marks on it and the ugliest are toned very dark with a few bag marks....these were on the one open end of each roll. you can read the story and see some pics here:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,197363.0.html
PS....don't mind my ugly fingers....they had a rough paper route ;D

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
mistergee said:
Jim thanks for the reply.....these Bens were found by me in thier original rolls....16 to be exact. i opened 4 of them and all are 1963...these coins are in superb shape...the best of which is almost FBL except for a small smudge to the left of the clapper....that is the only mark on this coin. i have several in that condition and the worst i have has some bag marks on it and the ugliest are toned very dark with a few bag marks....these were on the one open end of each roll. you can read the story and see some pics here:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,197363.0.html
PS....don't mind my ugly fingers....they had a rough paper route ;D

Damn nice coins there. I think that PCGS or NGC has a deal where if you become a member, or otherwise sign up with them, you can send in a certain number of coins all at once and you get a good break off the normal price per submission. I cannot remember which service offered this though. Seemed like a good deal at the time.

Jim

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
mistergee,
I have dealt with ANACS a few times and they are great. Anacs you dont need to be a member to submit coins, which is the case with PCGS. If you go to www.anacs.com they will send you a packet with the form you need to submit with the coins and also the plastic flips to put your coins in. If you do the economy service it will be $12 a coin with a 5 coin min. Or if you want to send less coins it is $16 for the 15 day service. Just remember you have to send them insured and have to include insurance and postage for them to send them back to you. I have had no problems with them and they are a very reputable company.

Thanks,
Jason

OP
OP
mistergee

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Shake...thanks for the reply...is there any difference between the price of a coin graded by ANACS and one graded by PCGS?

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
mistergee said:
Shake...thanks for the reply...is there any difference between the price of a coin graded by ANACS and one graded by PCGS?

I your instance I dont think there will be. If you get into old morgan's in high MS grade or old gold coins, YES. The last one I sent them was a 1945S Full Step nickel it graded MS-66 FS, I sold it and got over book price for it. So I would say they hold a good reputation.

Jason

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
mistergee said:

My personal opinion is the best are PCGS and NGC. Don't know about any others personally. I know I would only buy a coin graded by PCGS or NGC, because they seem to be the most in demand by investors and seem to be held in higher regard by the coin dealers I go to.

Some people don't seem to mind different grading companies though, and like Shake n Bake says, you might get the same price when you sell. But if the cost is about the same for the grading, I would stick to the PCGS or NGC.

My 2 cents.

Jim

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
mistergee said:

My personal opinion is the best are PCGS and NGC. Don't know about any others personally. I know I would only buy a coin graded by PCGS or NGC, because they seem to be the most in demand by investors and seem to be held in higher regard by the coin dealers I go to.

Some people don't seem to mind different grading companies though, and like Shake n Bake says, you might get the same price when you sell. But if the cost is about the same for the grading, I would stick to the PCGS or NGC.

My 2 cents.

Jim

I used to buy a lot of PCGS, PCI, ANAC, NGC slabbed coins and yes the PCGS always demanded a higher premium over the rest. PCGS is the one I would send my coins to. Just my opinion though. :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
mistergee

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
thanks again for the replies.....i think i will stick with PCGS first but i won't rule out sending one or two to either NGC or ANAC just for comparison sake. i strongly feel these coins will score high and based on what others have told me there is a good probability an FBL could be in one of the unopened rolls. i'm still not sure what to do with them yet but i'm in no hurry to decide.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i would stick with NGC if possible and PCGS being second. i know several dealers that will give me a quote on a NGC coin sight unseen.

buffhunter

May 30, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
mistergee - i have been dealing with many of the grading companies for years. If you go to sites like Teletrade, and look up old prices, you will see that ANACS graded coins do not fare well to a same grade coin in a PCGS holder. If i am not mistaken, PCGS is going to announce a "bulk" grading deal. The coins have to be only a few dates. I will try to do more research to let you know.

I personally like PCGS much better that NGC , ANACS.ICG, SEGS, Etc. ANACS is good if you have die varieties that PCGS wont attribute, but you dont get great prices for them.

Hopefully the link for Teletrade come across ok. I personally would only try to send PCGS coins that you feel make make the "Full Bell" grade. MS 54 coins will not turn you a profit.

http://www.teletrade.com/coins/search.asp?issubmit=1&nodefault=1&wantsid=0&searchid=0&aucrange=all&begauction=2658&endauction=&searchpast=1&backto=365&s_ispaper=0&s_isnonusa=0&s_yearmin=1963&s_yearmax=1963&s_mint=Any&s_overdate=&s_grademin=1+(AG)&s_grademax=70+(UNC%2FMS)&s_ispcgs=1&s_isngc=1&s_isanacs=1&s_anacshold=All&s_isicg=1&s_isncs=1&s_proof=Non-Proof&s_keywords=&s_d12=1&search=Search

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
silvercop said:
i would stick with NGC if possible and PCGS being second. i know several dealers that will give me a quote on a NGC coin sight unseen.

NGC is good, no doubt. But no way they are better than PCGS. If you check some of the dealer coin listings, PCGS gets higher prices at the higher ratings, like MS 65 and beyond. In the lower ratings it does not seem to matter. Check out http://www.coininfo.com/ and scroll down to the graded stuff. This is a reputable web site and I trust their listings.

If I was going to buy graded coins I would happily buy NGC. But honestly, I would rather have PCGS all things equal.

Jim

OP
OP
mistergee

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the help guys, i see there is a split in opinions between NGC and PCGS. i myself have seen mostly PCGS when shopping for coins as opposed to NGC. as these are fairly common coins i am shooting for the MS65 which would make them a $50 to $55 dollar coin. an MS66 will put them in the $900 range according to blue book. none of these that are from the opened 4 rolls were FBL(in my opinion) due to a very small blurring of the lines to the left of the clapper on the bell. i could be wrong as i only looked on a 10x loupe. a higher magnification may pick up the full lines. there could very well be an FBL in one of the 12 unopened rolls, but i'm keeping them intact for now until i at least get the better ones graded.
Buff, this is one of the things i am confused about in submitting my coins.
$10 per coin that makes the minimum grade assigned by you. There is a 60% minimum. If less than 60% of the coins do not make your grade you will be charged $5 each for the coins that failed to meet the minimum
i do not understand....do i tell them what i think they should grade and if i'm wrong i pay a penalty? :icon_scratch:

Pirate Hunter

Jun 2, 2008
I think what they are saying is that if you set a min of 65 and less than 60% of the coins make a 65 then you pay $5 per coin that didnt make the 65. You still pay the $10 per that makes the 65.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
While I haven't sent a coin in for grading I have read that PCGS and NGC use different standards for the FBL designation and that PCGS uses the bottom lines of the bell while NGC uses both sets of lines. I think both services give you a little room between the clapper and the lines. Here is a link to a FBL reference page

http://www.caccoin.com/?cat=15

The PCGS bulk rate looks like it would be a good choice since you only have FV invested and even with a $5 fee you are close to Bullion value.

Best of luck,
65GT350

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread