Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jack_Mightyheart said:
Didn't mean to offend anyone. It's just that I'm pretty young (18) and most of the people on here seem to be 30+. Or maybe you all just seem older because you're so wise ;D. But really, Facebook seems like a younger generation thing, and CRHing seems like a later generation thing. There are very few teenagers who's idea of a good time is sitting around opening rolls of coins =P

From what I've read facebook is actually gaining a lot of popularity in the 25-34 and 35-54 groups while more or less stagnating in the 18-24 group. The new users are using facebook as a pseudo-replacement for person to person contact and instead replacing it with computer contact for communication with old friends or friends who have spread out across the US/world. And because you know/see what your "friends or contacts" are doing on a day to day basis you apparently feel closer to them eventhough you are not actually in direct contact with them.

In many ways facebook is making people feel less lonely while at the same time actually making them less likely to have real person to person interactions (which actually makes them be more alone). I may sound like I am a being a bit negative on Facebook when in actuality I think its a reasonably good idea as it gives users one place that they can always find their friends that will be constant even as they do change phone numbers, addresses, or emails, but users have to be careful not to be sucked in to closing off other communications and relying solely on it (or other similar online communication). I guess maybe I am a little more of a people person and prefer live communication to email, text, and pictures.

Here is some stats I found in an extremely quick web search supporting my above comment as to the age groups.
http://www.istrategylabs.com/facebook-demographics-2008-update-its-getting-older-in-there/

I actually know quite a number of people in the 30-45 age range who are essentially addicted to facebook, and though it used to be a younger generation thing, its not one anymore.

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kermit is a sweet name TF. Haha

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought facebook was a teen thing. My daughter (now 18 and a week) has one and all those I have seen are so childish.

I would actually be embaressed to have one, but then I am OLD look at my pic. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread