The worst penny lot ever !!!!! ....... well, almost

steelsoldier

Feb 14, 2009
Raleigh NC
So the work was busy and I could not hit to banks last week... On Monday, I grabbed 40 rolls of hand rolled pennies... Just finished them, the wheat stats are horrible, I only pulled out 2 wheats (46 and 51d) -- 1 for every 20 rolls.... ouch... (my average is 1 wheat for every 4.2 rolls)

What made the rolls worthwhile was I found 3 dimes, 1 UK penny, 4 Canadians (oldest 1943 - my oldest Canadian CRHing) and most importantly 2000 wide AM (one of my goals for the year) and my second 1999 wide AM... I guess that is why CRH is so much fun, even a bad lot can turn out couple of surprises...

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steelsoldier said:
So the work was busy and I could not hit to banks last week... On Monday, I grabbed 40 rolls of hand rolled pennies... Just finished them, the wheat stats are horrible, I only pulled out 2 wheats (46 and 51d) -- 1 for every 20 rolls.... ouch... (my average is 1 wheat for every 4.2 rolls)

What made the rolls worthwhile was I found 3 dimes, 1 UK penny, 4 Canadians (oldest 1943 - my oldest Canadian CRHing) and most importantly 2000 wide AM (one of my goals for the year) and my second 1999 wide AM... I guess that is why CRH is so much fun, even a bad lot can turn out couple of surprises...
I would like too see a photo of the 1999 wide AM. Not trying too say you are wrong, but they are verrrrry rare and some people get fooled by thinking some of the close AMs with a small gap are actually wide AMs. there has to be a generous gap between the letters along with some difference with the "s" in the coin design, plus distance of the designer's initials from the base of the monument. I have been looking for 9 years and have only found one. Maybe you are just luckier than i am.

OP
OP
steelsoldier

steelsoldier

Feb 14, 2009
Raleigh NC
It is good to see other variety hunters...

This is the link I use to search varieties - I do not search for all but most of it....

http://www.tricklenews.com/pebble/default/2008/01/07/1199697540000.html

and this is the site I used for picture comparison..

http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/_Ty-2_Reverse_Cent_Varieties.htm

I still cannot effort a digital camera but will send you pics when I get one.... I search for varieties but I am not an expert on them... I think it is just the beginners luck...

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi steelsoldier,
i'm a little down the road from where you are, in Kannapolis.

HH
Gilbert

bmanofnbc

Dec 20, 2004
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SSII & Fisher F75
I just found my 3rd 1999 wide AM on Sunday. They are out there to find, you just have to keep looking. I search thru about a $25 box per day.

Here are the pics:
DSC01191.jpg

DSC01193.jpg

AM.jpg

FG.jpg

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Good job on the 99 wide A M :thumbsup:!! I am one of those who have found scads of 98 or 2000, but not the 99,,,,yet. I was beginning to wonder if they were out there :wink:!! Good luck,, Gpurs..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread