HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not? Its fun. If you don't feel like searching, then that's just more wheats for me. That's how I see it. ;D

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
common wheat cents are worth 3 cents ea. Plus there is an outside chance of finding an early scarce date or error coin.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
It is just preferance. There are some wheats that are worth a good amount of money. In my opinion all the wheats will be highly collectable one day. Some guys don't have any silver in their areas and choose to get their fix with copper. I understand that. Some might not have the funds to do larger denominations of coin either. It is all part of the hobbie.

Golden silver

OP
OP
P

Pirate Hunter

Jun 2, 2008
Ok I see now. I thought there was something I was missing. Thanks for filling in.

I was searching through my 5 gallon water bottle with change and found an 1909 wheat, just not the expensive one.

hit80s

Dec 31, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace 250
i can usually find 3 wheats in every 10 $ i search ........athout i dont search cents often ... i do get some at the till at work tho

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
My inclination to search the cents is more for the hunt to find an elusive IH. I also started my coin collecting when I was 9 with a Tang container of Wheats. With it's low denomination and ease of availability, they make for a quick fix. I cull all the wheats and better grade coppers. I sell the copper rolls when I have a box which in turn goes to buy silver.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well....eventually they will discontinue the cent (probably). In the meantime, they just changed the design which may increase interest in cent collecting and make wheats harder to find.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My personal opinion but very personal, " Waist of time" for me.

DW

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darth Walker said:
My personal opinion but very personal, " Waist of time" for me.

DW

LOL!

Am I missing something here? Did you intend for there to be a pun or did you just spell waste wrong? :icon_scratch:

-Codes

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Darth Walker said:
Sorry, I am not very good at grammar

"WASTE"

Wouldn't that be a spelling mistake, not bad grammar?

:wink:

(sorry. just had to add that. Don't worry about your spelling. I spell okay, but I don't proofread, and therefore I make all sorts of spelling errors. People still know what you meant. ;D )

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
My inclination to search the cents is more for the hunt to find an elusive IH. I also started my coin collecting when I was 9 with a Tang container of Wheats. With it's low denomination and ease of availability, they make for a quick fix. I cull all the wheats and better grade coppers. I sell the copper rolls when I have a box which in turn goes to buy silver.
OK so Where do you sell the copper??? CU value or penny value? Just trying to educate myself.
thanks

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
jrf30 said:
Darth Walker said:
Sorry, I am not very good at grammar

"WASTE"

Wouldn't that be a spelling mistake, not bad grammar?

:wink:

(sorry. just had to add that. Don't worry about your spelling. I spell okay, but I don't proofread, and therefore I make all sorts of spelling errors. People still know what you meant. ;D )

Though, there is a Spell Check button on which you can click; before posting................................

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Reverend B*IKE* said:
Diver_Down said:
OK so Where do you sell the copper??? CU value or penny value? Just trying to educate myself.
thanks

The value of the rolls are based on the penny value but it is also influenced by the copper value. I sell the rolls on eBay as a box lot. I don't make a ton, but the last box of 70's rolls fetched around $40 plus shipping. A box of 60's rolls would fetch more. Again, I only pull the better grade (AU or better) cents.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my wheat cents worth - Let me answer your question with a question - Why not save any

and all wheaties ? The newest ones , 1958 - are all over 50 years old , they are an obsolete,

US coin , they are copper , they feature a classy design , and think of all the folks collecting

coins of all kinds that are worth less than three times face ( NIFC for example ) Argentium.

PS . Any who feel it is a waste of time to pull wheaties please respond with your

reasoning .

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
unlike the reason i search for silver (making money) i search pennys and nickels for the fun off it. i like gettin the older ones and the elusive IH that for some reason i cant get for the life of me

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ugotit22 said:
unlike the reason i search for silver (making money) i search pennys and nickels for the fun off it. i like gettin the older ones and the elusive IH that for some reason i cant get for the life of me

Don't feel too bad....I haven't found one in the last approximately 696,000 pennies I have searched. Before that I had 3 in 135,000 and then another skunk streak of 803,000 prior to that...

So...
Last 696,000 No IHC
prior 135,000 had 3 IHC
prior 803,000 No IHC

So over the last 1,634,000 pennies searched I have had 3 IHC and all were in about 1 month of each other.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always liked Wheats, why not save them? They are cheap and funt to hoard. :thumbsup: And you never know, you may find an IH or two. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread