The wheat field was bountiful today

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Did a box of pennies and a box of nickels today. Started off with the pennies, and the first thing I noticed was that it was old. The box was dated recently, but it was almost entirely copper. I would say upwards of 80% of the box was pre-82, with most being late 60's and early 70's. Got a ton of wheats out it, which was nice. Almost every roll had at least one, and several had 3 and 4. I ended with 67 wheats. Earliest was a 1916. The nickels were less productive than my usual boxes, but it still produced. Got about 20 pre-60s and one dateless buffalo. No silver, though. Also, in change from Denny's today I got a Belgian 1 Franc from 1950.

HH

Upvote 0

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Jack! Love that wheaty goodness!

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I need a box like that to increase my copper hoard for now. It is not growing very fast on the boxes I've gotten lately. down to 15% copper.

Good job.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
davest said:
are copper cents going to be worth a premium one of these days?

Absolutely.

The value of the copper in the pre 1982 cents is 1.1 cents right now. At this LOW level. When it goes back up to 300% of more, the cents will trade for a nice premium. And I can hold them until then.

As I mentioned, last summer $50 bags of copper cents were consistently selling for about $130 on ebay. Because copper was up. When this recession is over, it shall happen again. And that should be in 2010 or 2011. If I hold for 2 years, and double that money (And get my jollies over seeing how much I end up with in the meantime) then that is worth it to me. :-)

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
nice finds Jack_Mightyheart. I came across a few boxes this week in NY just like you Jersey box, almost all old copper cents. The coins were dirty and dark ended up getting like 500 wheats out of 12 boxes. That was my tuesday order, was really hoping my thursday order was the same but so far three boxes down and not producing like the ones from tuesday.

By the way was the box dated Feb 28, 2009. Just curious.

Happy hunting and good luck with future boxes. I love pennies because you rarely get disappointed.

Also listen to what jrf30 said copper will be rising again once the economy gets out of this down turn and manufacturing goes up. Also some of the stimulus package included rerunning power lines for major cities. Thus the demand for copper will increase.

Jason

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions