How do you store your coin stash?

Seagates

Feb 7, 2009
Well I was sitting here debating upon what I was going to do with my silver/wheats, that i have been accumulating up until now they have just been sitting on my desk but I can see how that will become a problem sometime in the future. I suppose I could put them in one of the coin boxes I have, but figured that wouldn't be near as fun as having a special trinket box or something.

What do you guys do for storage? Tackle boxes? Rubbermaid? Wooden treasure chest? Cardboard coin box?

Just trying to get some ideas so i can figure out how to handle mine :icon_king:

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
alabamadan said:
Diver_Down said:
Since Treasurefiend brought up the dimes, I use old mahogany cigar boxes. The dimes are stored in the glass cigar tubes. Pretty cool to open a beautiful cigar box only to see gleaming tubes of silver.

That sounds really cool. Right now I'm keeping my finds spread out all over the dining room table.

The dimes fit perfectly in the glass tubes. The dimes are sorted by type and decade. i.e. Tube of Rosie's from the 40's; Tube of Merc's; etc. I label the cap of the glass tube so the view of the booty is unobstructed when opening the cigar box. My next goal is to fill a Crown Royal bottle with Rosie's. With the purple cloth bag, it should make a nice presentation.

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
I like the military surplus ammo boxes. The 9mm box makes for a perfect size for rolls or coin tubes of halves. I get the boxes for $2.00 each at the local swap meet. Full of silver they are pretty heavy, but still very portable, especially utilizing the heavy-duty built-in handle. These are especially nice because they have rubber seals and cam locks, so when closed they will stay dry no matter the environment. I simply separate coin types into different boxes. The filled ammo boxes themselves I stash...not at the house, but in a custom vault that I constructed elsewhere on my property (lots of space). Safe and sound, but accessible on short notice if need be. Can't be found with a metal detector because of surrounding signal interference/overload.

I have twin babies at home, and have found that certain baby bottles are perfect for storing halves. There are some that are clear plastic and have straight, parallel sides with attached snap lids. These will hold around 50 coins each. Also, we get these small disposable bottles of formula that have lids that you twist off and add a nipple for use. Needless to say, I don't dispose of them. These work great for storing coin as well as many other applications. They even have plastic ganging clips that hold them together in groups of four......fitting almost perfectly into the above-mentioned 9mm ammo boxes.....

- Grizz

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinmojo said:
LJ said:
For the halves, I use regular paper $10 half wrappers that you can get from most any bank...I roll them and store them in the bank ($25) penny boxes double stacked....eighteen rolls on the bottom row and eighteen rolls on the top row for a total of 36 rolls or 720 halves per box.

I then use duct tape to secure the top, bottom and sides. The box is then labeled with a permanent marker so I know if it is 40% or 90% halves. I do not store the Franklin's or Walkers this way....this is just for the Kennedy's.

Sure can't beat the price of the wrappers and boxes....lol.

If you want to keep a coin for numismatic value, this is not the route to go.

Now that's funny LJ. I can only Imagine!

Why wouldn't you just use the Half Dollar boxes. Unless the reason is the size of the Safety deposit boxes.

And when I say "Safety Deposit Boxes" (plural) I'll bet you may have filled a few up.!

Mojo

Hey Mojo...first, eveytime I see Mojo or type your name I still think of Austin Powers & his powerful MOJO....lol.....yeah baby.......lol.

Anyway, I understand what your saying, the half dollar boxes would seem to make more sense huh, but it is a storage issue....actually the length of the SDB's are the issue for me.

The penny boxes work for me so I just stuck with it from the start.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
LJ

I figured as much. I remember you asking the bank if you could just rent some space for your Safe!..... LOL

Yeaaahh Baby....

Mojo

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinmojo said:
LJ

I remember you asking the bank if you could just rent some space for your Safe!..... LOL

Yeaaahh Baby....

Mojo

Wow Mojo...you have a good memory dude!!!

Shagadellic baby.......ha

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
I keep all my coins at home in a binder. After I get them, I neatly put them into coin holders, then the value will last forever. I never trust the bank with my silver/old coppers. I just hold them at my house because I know thats where I can keep an eye on them. I need money for a safe. lol

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang,
I store everything I have, just " behind " my security guard.... Nobody has been near her in YEARS!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

PLL :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

seclady.jpg

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
Hey PLL,

Where did you get a picture of my wife?! lol

I store mine in these neat (I think anyway) little 100 half boxes. I just started so I only have one and a half filled up but hope that will change after I start ordering boxes. Then I can use those boxes for only 90%'s lol a man can dream.

My personal collection has increased nicely also. I'm starting to need a new folder for walkers too YAY!

I bought 2 red seal $2, 2 walkers, 2 64's, 4 mercs, 2 standing liberty quarters, 2 Buffalo's with dates and 2 liberty v nickles today for $20 not bad I thought.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already have an empty box of $25 pennies.

I just need to fill it up. I have 31 40%nters and LJ stores about 720 so let me see.
I still need 720-31=689

I still need to find 689 40%nters to use and seal one box.

Darth Walker

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
pegleglooker said:
hey gang,
I store everything I have, just " behind " my security guard.... Nobody has been near her in YEARS!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Isn't that the chick that played Rosanne's sister in the TV series Rosanne? Or Goofy?

Mojo

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL - That lady reminds me of the episode of "The Simpson's" where Marge was a body builder in a competition. Well the announcer was doing the intros and he said the "our doctors verified that these are infact women" then he said "here comes the IRON MADENS"!!!!!!! :D :D :D :tongue3:

50centman

Feb 25, 2008
Dime boxes, eighteen on bottom, twelve on top. They fit perfectly, not too heavy and fit nicely in SDB. I duct tape the boxes and label like LJ. Beginning to wonder about the safety of them if we run into really bad times, but for now will stay with it. Guess I've heard too many teller stories about collections being stolen from home. Most of the thieves by the way are relatives, so best to be careful who you tell about your hobby, especially if relatives or family members have unsavoy friends. Just my two cents on the topic.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I bought a safe. But my silver eagles are also in there, and that's the main reason i bought it.

It holds my silver and wheats too though. :-)

(It is 3 feet high and two feet wide, and almost full because of the size of those monster boxes of eagles. I need the price of silver to go up so I can sell a few boxes and make room for my CRH halves. LOL. Those are probably part of my estate! With CRH silver, I hoard. I don't sell.)

My copper cents? They have a spot on the garage floor in the third car garage. I have over a ton of them now, and it is growing. I figure if the floor can hold a car, it can hold my cents. LOL

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
I bought an empty Eagle box to try and clean up/ unclutter my safe, as you can see by the pic it didn't fit.
DSCN1609-1.jpg

So next I went for the Maple box as its shorter, much better but still running out of room. HH Mark
DSCN1676_edited.jpg

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
Fire proof safe. It is the Fire Fyter brand name and I have had it for 15 years now. it is guaranteed that any PAPER items won't be damaged after 1 hr at 1700 degrees farenheit. Coins and paperwork are safe.

What will your coins look like after a house fire? I buy and sell high end coins, so I can't risk things like uncirculated 1914-D pennies melting, and homeowners insurance is extremely limited for silver, rare coins, and currency. Check your policy if you don't believe me, I used to sell homeowners insurance.

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
After many years of doing this, I have finally moved up to something big.
600 lbs empty
45 min burn time at 1200*f
Auto shut off if tampered with
Bolted to the slab
And a very large dog

It only takes one jerk to run free in your home for 10 min to take a lifetime
of valuables.

Attachments

• silver coins.jpg
    silver coins.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 231

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinmojo said:
pegleglooker said:
hey gang,

Isn't that the chick that played Rosanne's sister in the TV series Rosanne? Or Goofy?

Mojo
Maybe she's their love child.....

PLL

OP
OP
Seagates

Seagates

Feb 7, 2009
OmegaMan said:
After many years of doing this, I have finally moved up to something big.
600 lbs empty
45 min burn time at 1200*f
Auto shut off if tampered with
Bolted to the slab
And a very large dog

It only takes one jerk to run free in your home for 10 min to take a lifetime
of valuables.

Looks like you have some extra protection leaning up against it too :) nice safe, eventually I'll get one of those.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread