Off the wall question. - How do you cover your tracks with all the CRH garbage?

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of you may of not thought of this so this might help you out.

How do you dispose of all of your boxes & wrappers form all of your coins that you went through? I live in a big apartment complex with all kinds of people. Some of them are dumpster divers and I don't want them to one day find thousands & thousands of dollars worth of coin boxes & wrappers. That could in courage them to scope out my building to try and figure out who has all that money.

What I do to prevent this is I always double bag up my wrappers & brokendown boxes in a separate bag from my normal trash and and pitch them out at work. Or sometime when I am at a drive thru I pitch the bag there in a garbage can. I leave no evidence of my hobby where I live. :thumbsup:

I'd say this would be good advise even if you live in a house, you never know who is going through your trash. Just one piece of junk mail with your address gets mixed in with your wrappers, that will put a huge target on your home. Just a thought... :thumbsup:

Attachments

• pistol whip homer.jpg
    pistol whip homer.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 618
Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Re: Off the wall question, how do you cover your tracks with all the garbage.

I never-ever CRH - but you have a great point!

I'd be dumping that trash elsewhere...

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somepeople say I'm paranoid. LOL

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007
Wrappers are small stuff and easily disposed off. You are doing it correctly, bagging it and dumping it at work.
Boxes are tougher to discard. Don't leave stuff in the wastebasket in plain view for visitors, the plumber, electrician, etc.

Some coin collectors receive numismatic magazines in the mail. Do neighbors or visitors see your mail lying around?

The most important thing is keep your mouth shut.

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
Out where I live we have big cans for recycle goods.
When trash day comes, I wait until the trash truck shows up, then and only then do
I take it out to the curb and wait until it is empty.

Attachments

• silver coins 002.jpg
    silver coins 002.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 605

Seagates

Feb 7, 2009
Re: Off the wall question. - How do you cover your tracks with all the CRH garb

I have actually been shredding the boxes in my shredder - and the remains make excellent packing material. the wrappers I actually bag separate from my normal trash and in like the plastic/paper bags from grocery stores not my same trash bags and toss into the dumpster

how u do n

Dec 21, 2008
in my own little world :)
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Minlab E-Trac Garrett Pinpointer
I have 2 very thick canvas bags that have handles on them.
I take them into the bank with me and load the coin into the bags.
Then I leave "them" the boxes :P and this also makes going out to
the car and inside not look as bad ;D
They look like those bags people use now for their food.
You can get them at almost any food store for like $2
Gl
hh
dan

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
I wait until my room is overflowing with wrappers and boxes. Then whn ive had enough i bag it all up and take it out and add it to the weekly garbage. My garbage men must think i rob banks

S

seger98

Being a fulltime RVer I burn most of my stuff in campfires!

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is part of the reason I like getting bags so much.....much less garbage to deal with...and essentially none from the banks that use canvas bags instead of the plastic ones.

When I did do boxes, the ones that could be used as storage (i.e. the brinks type boxes) I generally kept and use them for wrapping small gifts, storing rolls of coins, or other miscellaneous small storage like playing cards.

The CWI type with the see through holes, I flatten and when I have enough of them take them to the city-run large cardboard recycling bin that is somewhat close to my house.

The wrappers I usually put in a grocery bag or other plastic bag and then in the normal garbage (essentially double bagged) and plastic coin machine bags I just roll up and throw away in the normal garbage.

Also 98%+ of the time I make sure to shut the garage door when either loading or unloading coins from the trunk of my car as although I trust my neighbors, there is no reason to make it public knowledge.

gotgot

Dec 29, 2008
I reroll all my coins in the wraps they come up with, so I might generate 1 Half wrap out of every few boxes. I save those wraps for future usage. I have yet to see a bank that you can bring back change loose so I use all the wraps when dumping.

Boxes, I break those down and burn them in a small chimenea I have in the yard. In the winter I just tear the boxes into tiny pieces and bury them in the trash.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
This topic has come up before- here's my same reply-

Attachments

• fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 427

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dump mine in a friend's dumpster at his business in the next town over. When I take them out to the truck, I have them in a trash bag so no one can tell what's in them. I pass by his place a couple times a week anyway, so no special trip is needed.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the country, I burn it all!

gtlfindings

Jan 11, 2007
ny
Detector(s) used
TESORO DeLeon
Never thought about it although I mostly get bags...Hmm you want to come in my place I got somethin for 'em ...I'm not even gonna elaborate!!

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I use a boxcutter to open one end of the machine-rolled rolls. Then slide the halves out. Check them, then put them back in the same rolls, and scotch tape over the ends.

I started doing that because it was getting too difficult to find half-dollar wrappers, and in the interest of 'good will', I did not want my bank to spend money on wrappers when letting me order boxes.
I did not want to give them any incentives to start charging me for my box orders.

So anyway, once done searching, I would just load the rolls back up in the original box and take it to my dump bank.

The original boxes were quarter boxes, as Brinks quit using actual half dollar boxes early last year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread