timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do most of you hunt for when roll hunting?? I've had a ton of luck with nickels my first 2 times out. found rolls that were dated on the side 1940, 1956d, 1939, and all of them were full of those dates. found 3 other rolls stuffed with 37 through 59. not much luck with halves, a little luck with quarters and dimes.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Here in Mich my halves come from a center in Detroit. Lousy boxes. The loose all get snatched up by "other customers"
I hit the dimes and average 1 per $150.

HH, FFD

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how much in halves do you normally spend before you get a good find?? I only had one 40% so far out of 70$ but I still have 30$ more to check. I think at the bank I'm going to now, I've come across a huge collection of old nickels that someone dumped and didn't know it, because every roll is full of 90%. I'm going to go back this week and buy tons of nickel rolls, hopefully I will get a bunch of buffalo rolls soon. I know nickels aren't a huge deal, not my favorite of coins, but I've been getting so much silver. maybe I'll even find some sheild nickels if I buy the rest of this stash.

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, I am from the southwest part of michigan, close to kalamazoo.

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are nickels even made of any silver bfore 1970?? or is it just halves and dimes?? i am still new to this.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
timbobwey said:
By the way, I am from the southwest part of michigan, close to kalamazoo.

Thanks for answering my question in advance. I'm in the south east area or sould I say the tri-county area.

So by all means have at it.

I'm pretty sure there are no 90% Nickles. I believe the war Nickles (the ones with the mint mark above the building in the middle) are 30% silver 1942-45

Welcome aboard..... Don't tell anyone Else.......

I think Fistfullofdirt and I could actually be neighbors. But as long as he sticks to the Dimes i'm gonna let him live......LOL

Mojo

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tri county ehh?? cool.. I know that war nickels are partially silver. do you keep any nickels if they're not silver?? I've been keeping all pre 65 nickels... is it even worth it to keep them??

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
timbobwey said:
tri county ehh?? cool.. I know that war nickels are partially silver. do you keep any nickels if they're not silver?? I've been keeping all pre 65 nickels... is it even worth it to keep them??

Tri-county Wayne,Okland & Macomb (Detroit)

When I do Nickles I keep all pre 1960 and anything in the 60's that are in mint state.

Mojo

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so the 1960 and earlier nickels are worth keeping?? cause I just got like 6 rolls of em, I thought they had some silver in them at that early. SO should I keep them??

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
timbobwey said:
so the 1960 and earlier nickels are worth keeping?? cause I just got like 6 rolls of em, I thought they had some silver in them at that early. SO should I keep them??

Most people who post on Nickles keep 60 and older. But if you cant afford to hoard them than only keep lower mintage dates. I think the 55's are a low mintage year.

You should invest in a REDBOOK coin price guide. There is a wealth of information there. I am not an expert. especially when it comes to Nickles.

Mojo

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you know if quarters are silver before a certain year??

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
timbobwey said:
do you know if quarters are silver before a certain year??
Wow timbob, you really are green....I did my research and discovered the answers to most of your questions while I was 10 years old....AGES before the interweb was ever developed! You have that instant access now...your many questions are easily answered with a little research on line. FFD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread