HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was speaking with my father the other day and the subject of silver half dollars was brought up. He suggested that I try banks that have been around for a few decades in some towns close to where I live. He suggested banks with names such as Dime Bank or Miner's Bank just to name a few.

My question is does anyone try these "old banks" when they regularly crh and if so, do they yield better silver because it has been sitting in the vault for a number of years, compared to a relatively new BoA type branch? :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in the beginning, people usually banked at the same place year after year. It's nice to be able to come in and see the same people dealing with your money all the time, so I'd say, go for it. That is if there are still some of the old banks around.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
They are harder and harder to find. But the ones I have encountered have produced well. This economic stench we are in has hurt the little banker as well. There was one bank in a small town that always produced some old coin and the first time I went there had eight rolls of mixed silver walker, kens and bens. It was a great find. Last time I drove by there the bank was boarded up...it had only been 6 months since my last visit. If you can find one stop in.

Golden Silver

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Older Banks should = older clientell, Which should = grandma cashing in an old hoard every now and than.

Mojo

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
I hit these older banks circa 1860s ish and they never have produced any better than a new bank. No old stash hiding in the vault here , Ed

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
It would make sense that older banks might have older coin sitting in the vault from a long time ago. It's worth a shot.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
old banks, new banks,credit unions etc....i hit them all..... all of the old banks around here were bought by the new banks......example....Citizens in a building which used to be PSFS or Univest which used to be Bank of Schwenksville.....i could go on and on....however my best finds have been in the older banks......no matter who owns them now ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread